Fanless car engine radiator, anyone?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jpsa

Fanless car engine radiator, anyone?

Post by jpsa » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:48 am

Just wandering if anyone here uses a passive large car engine radiator on the wc setup, post pics if you can

I started this thread on another site but not much response since it's a OC'ers forum.

check here http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/sho ... =0&fpart=1

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:53 pm

I think car radiators are specifically made for forced air cooling, which would make them less suitable for passive use (too small distance between cooling fins/pipes). Apartment radiators should be much more effective, since they are made for using only convection to radiate heat.

I'm not watercooling myself, so I may have to stand corrected though...

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:09 pm

What about something like this:
It's an electric oil-heater. I'd have to rip it apart and use the structure to cool water.
Last edited by jpsa on Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:59 pm

it would be even better if it was a oil cooler but i dont think they make those

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:06 am

TheDarkHacker wrote:it would be even better if it was a oil cooler but i dont think they make those
Oh yes, they make them, and they are sold here (Sweden). To use it, though, would probably require a very thorough rinse to get all of the oil out -- using oil for cooling requires special parts (pump, hoses and so on) which I don't think come for cheap.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:01 pm

Pjotor wrote: Oh yes, they make them, and they are sold here (Sweden).
Cool, any link to a vendor for us state-side?

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:34 pm

after i www.froogle.com it all i found are car oil coolers that are just small radiators. i didnt find any that were like what i think he was talking about.. has anybody ever used a small aquarium chiller. i dont know if they could really do anything to your temps but i have seen some nice ones on ebay but i dont wont to take a chance.

gojira

Post by gojira » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:41 pm

I am also thinking about home radiators instead of automotive ones. We really need some testing to compare heater cores with full size radiators with home radiators like cast-iron standup radiators and finned baseboard tubing and European radiant tubing designs. Needless to say some of these home radiators can get quite expensive. But I guess it's a lot of extra expense just to create a truly silent fanless system.

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:07 pm

I have central heating in my house, the radiator in my room must have about 4 squaremeter total area (it's a 1x1 meter unit with 5 stacked plates) If I could use it for cooling my pc I would :P a module like this costs about 80euro so I just might try it.
what do you think?

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:13 pm

DrCR wrote:Cool, any link to a vendor for us state-side?
Sure. Here you go. It's in Swedish, but at least you can see the brand(s) (Honeywell) and take it from there. Maybe Honeywell sells the stuff in your area?

Note: 1 USD = 7.32 Swedish kroner (SEK) at the time of writing. The prices are fairly high here, so if the stuff is sold in your area, the prices will very probably be lower.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:10 am

Sweet, thanks Pjotor!

Bummer. I had a good friend of my who was a big-cheese Honeywell dude. He gave me a tour of a nearby plant a while back. But then they called him off to Arizona.

Ah well, that dosen't mean I couldn't get one if I really wanted one. Thanks again! :)

DrCR

Seal

Post by Seal » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:32 pm

lol that looks ridiculusly OTT

kinda cool tho, if u guys do it take a photo!

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:01 pm

Forget just where, but I've seen car rads used, reportedly they work pretty well. Keep in mind that the temp profiles you are dealing with in a comp WC system are alot different than what you would have in the apps that any of these products are intended to be used for by the MFG, so experimentation is in order.

Actually I think the rad setups did also have a very low power fan on them for extra cooling when needed. Essentially though you are talking effects like that of a reserator.

Gooserider

Straker

Post by Straker » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:37 am

I thought of this a while ago since my desk is currently right by a huge window, two CSP750s in series would get the water up and out the window to a huge radiator no problem. basement window too, so I could just lock a grate or something over the hole it sits in, only problem is i'm in Canada so I'd have to use antifreeze and worry about condensation about 5 months out of the year. :P

have seen pics of people using real radiators for this purpose though, mostly they just build cheapo plywood cases for the rad to use for fan/caster mounts