It is currently Fri May 27, 2016 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: how quiet are water pumps
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:58 pm 

i'm asking as i have no experience but how quiet are water pumps in closed-loop sealed $100 newegg water kits.

what i am wondering is if this makes sense
buy a 65 tdp skylake cpu

then cool it with a standard sealed kit from newegg many to choose from

not use the fans to cool radiator but use the pump to pump the water. water passively cooled through radiator.

how much noise does the pump make? is it failure prone?

how would this compare with a massive heatpipe?

Post subject: Re: how quiet are water pumps
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:16 am 

dan wrote:
how would this compare with a massive heatpipe?

It is not possible to run a closed loop kit without a fan.

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:10 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

only a very small amount of SPCR'ers actually run water cooled rigs . if water were better, for silence, most of us would use it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:15 am 

xan_user wrote:
only a very small amount of SPCR'ers actually run water cooled rigs . if water were better, for silence, most of us would use it.
Personally, while i haven't tried to build a custom water loop, i do believe that there is a breaking point, where water will be quieter than air, but it will need to be a high end setup, like dual or triple GPU + 8 core X99, and the user wanting to overclock heavy, these are all things that most here will not peruse, that said i do think there is a breaking point where air will struggle and water will be a better choice noise wise, but for most of us here, that try to build quiet computers, air is superior than water.

GameMiv2 >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | 2x MSI GTX980Ti Gaming | ACER B326HK 32'' 4K IPS | Samsung 850pro 1TB | WD RED 3TB | Silverstone FT05 + 2x Silverstone AP182 | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:26 am 

You could always build a custom loop and place the radiator far, far away from your ears :)

1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Support SPCR through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:28 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

ive seen some passive radiators setups on the net, but they involve huge radiators, like out of a cadillac, custom waterblocks, huge plumbing, and use only moderately hot components. for decent results you really have to place the rad at least 2.5 feet above the block. some also put the rad outside the house, or in the garage. -not exactly AIO. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:36 am 

xan_user wrote:
ive seen some passive radiators setups on the net, but they involve huge radiators, like out of a cadillac, custom waterblocks, huge plumbing, and use only moderately hot components. for decent results you really have to place the rad at least 2.5 feet above the block. some also put the rad outside the house, or in the garage. -not exactly AIO. :mrgreen:

Oh you're so wrong.

I have two Watercool mo-ra 2 external radiators, without fans.
I get insane temps compared to any active water or air cooling, it can handle well over 500w.
Yes the radiators are big, but they sit under my bed on legs I made in about 5 minutes, so they don't take up important space.
With quick disconnect fittings it's not impractical at all, NO you do not need custom waterblocks (why would you?) and no, plumbing is not huge, it's actually 2,3m long in my case, and it is VERY simple.

It's not even expensive if you buy used car radiators.

If you want ultimate performance and silence watercooling is the only way, and by watercooling I don't mean some crapy AIO.

If you don't have any personal experience with a setup like this, don't say things like they're facts. I hate that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:36 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

if the rads are big, that's kinda one of my main points. ( id consider your rad, 'cadillac' sized when comparing to AIO)
still, 500+ watts with no pump and no fans, we'd all love to see it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:39 pm 

xan_user wrote:
with no pump and no fans

No pump? Are you kidding?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:21 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

quest_for_silence wrote:
xan_user wrote:
with no pump and no fans

No pump? Are you kidding?

I stated passive H20 (no pump, no fan) was very difficult to attain. (ie size of rad, fittings, thermal stack ect...)
HollyBoni said I was "so wrong..."
Im trying to ascertain how HollyBoni's 500+watt rig is configured, so i can see where im "so wrong" about passive H20 cooling...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:51 pm 

xan_user wrote:

You didn't say anything about no pump, you said passive radiators.

Of course I have a pump, jesus... I just have no fans. A good pump (Laing D5) is quieter than an HDD.
And if you want complete silence and insan performance, as you said just put the pump and the rads outside the room, and if you do that you can put massive fans on the rads since you won't here it anyway.
Building a good performing fanless (WITH PUMP) watercooling system with huge rads is not complicated or expensive. It'll perform MUCH better than any kind of passive air cooling that fits into a PC case.
I'm not even sure if you ever had any kind of watercooling.

Last edited by HollyBoni on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:11 am 

xan_user wrote:
I stated passive H20 (no pump, no fan) was very difficult to attain.

I don't think some form of fluid circulation can be omitted in any heating/cooling system, but if you're aware of such a system I'd be glad to know about.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:18 am 

If you are moving the cooling out of the room, you may aswell move the whole rig out of the room.

Normal dp cable go up to 15ft (w.o mentioning fiber) vs 15 ft of water hose/tube, easy choice imo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:45 am 

baii wrote:
If you are moving the cooling out of the room, you may aswell move the whole rig out of the room.

Normal dp cable go up to 15ft (w.o mentioning fiber) vs 15 ft of water hose/tube, easy choice imo.

I'm not going to put my PC outside. Also it's not easier. You need two long hoses, and that's it. You don't even need a monster pump, couple of guys did it already using DDC or D5 pumps. They have more than enough power.
Yes, Linus screwed up whole room watercooling, but this would be WAAAY easier.

Putting the whole PC in another room or outside is eaiser and cheaper if you're on air cooling, but right now I have pretty much everything to do it.