Using antifreeze and UV dye together

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jingato

Using antifreeze and UV dye together

Post by jingato » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:10 pm

Hi. I was just wondering, If I were to use 10% green antifreeze in my systemand alo put a few drops of green UV dye, would the dye still glow? Would it be as effective as just using the dye and distilled water. Does anybody have any pictures for comparison?

Thanks
John

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:26 pm

I've never cared about the color of my coolant, but I've seen reports that some antifreeze is UV active, color depending on brand. How dye works w/ the antifreeze is also a variable, depends on the color of the two components, etc. Experimentation is in order.

However I would say that you should always use some form of anti-corrosive, such as anti-freeze, even in a single metal system. In a mixed metal system I would consider it VITAL. Appearance should be a secondary consideration if at all... (the dye will not make your system either quieter or cooler running)

Gooserider

araaran

Post by araaran » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:49 am

Eeerrrr... I had a -huge- problem with uv dye.
I wanted all my tubes to glow red. And with dye bought from a cooling shop which will remain nameless, my tubes did glow - and looked the dogs danglies at that.

Until my passive radiator started to corrode. Its an Innovatek Passive, and it started leeching salts or something out of one of the rubber sealed joints. On advice from Innovatek, I had to flush the whole system several times, and found bits of rubber actually floating around in the system. Big f**k up.
Now I just use deionised water, and a swiched to orange coloured tubing. MUCH safer :-) and it still looks ok.