WC the NB with the other GWB1 block vertically/horisontally?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

WC the NB with the other GWB1 block vertically/horisontally?

Post by akaidiot » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:33 pm

I'm getting a DFI LP NF3 UT Motherboard and the reserator to cool my CPU, X800XT and possibly the NB with the other waterblock you get with the GWB1. Should I mount it vertically or horisontally? If mounted vertically I guess the water would flow by much quicker and cool less but then the water would be cooler which is good to cool the other components..

I guess the NB doesn't need all that much cooling since it comes with a passive heatsink..

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:50 pm

what do you mean by "horizontally"?

The water will flow at the same speed, regardless of mounting direction. More likely you'll be limited by the mounting holes in the mobo.

I ended up mounting mine diagonally:

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:20 pm

i think he might of meant that he would mount his resertor sideway

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:08 pm

No, I did not ask if I'd mount the reserator sideways. That kind of makes it loose it's point doesn't it?

Rusty, thanks for the telling picture, just what I needed! That's what I'm going to do when my insanly price reduced reserator get's here!

Zigge

Post by Zigge » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:38 pm

Checkout the temperature on the NB heatsink, I did one day and it was hot (I run my computer a bit overclocked) ! I installed the GWB1 (small type) right away, to sleep better at night :wink: ! Since I have not to much air flow in my chassi and there is no CPU fan nearby, this had to be done. Today I have one chassi fan and the fan in my PSU, but my goal is a fanless computer 8).

My system can be found here - hem.bredband.net/olalju

:) Zigge

malcky h

Post by malcky h » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:56 am

Rusty075 wrote:what do you mean by "horizontally"?

The water will flow at the same speed, regardless of mounting direction. More likely you'll be limited by the mounting holes in the mobo.

I ended up mounting mine diagonally:
Hi rusty, that looks very nice using the spare gpu cooler for the north bridge, just wish i had seen that picture 2 days ago because i just installed my reserator 2 days ago for the cpu (mobile 2500 @ 12x200 1.65v) and the gpu only (crucial 9800pro).

however I decided not to use the pci slot as the way out for the water tubing because it seemed to me as if it would be very hard to get the graphics card out (my next upgrade) as there is very litte movement if any, so i used the the 12cm fan hole at back of case for the in and out water tubing which make it very easy for me to change/upgrade parts.

I do have a couple of questions though..

1) does anyone leave there reserator on 24/7 even if their computer if off?

2) what to people have the reserator sitting on, as i have it on my desk just now and heard the pump vibration though the desk which was annoyng, so have now got a ceramic wall tile wraped in a rubber non slip mat which helped big time but not 100%.

3) would the following set up work: silverstone lascala lco1b case, antec phantom psu with my current gear - 2 optical drives, 80g samsung spinpoint h/d, abit nf7-s v2.0 with mobile 2500 @ 12x200 @ 1.65v & crucial 9800 pro both watercooled with the reserator.

cheers
malcky

p.s the only fan in my system at this moment is the one in the nexus 3000 psu, which doesnt seem that quiet once every thing else is silenced.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:23 am

1) Mine is always on...no reason to turn it off, since it makes no noise.

2) I have mine sitting on 1/2 sorbothane.

3) Don't see any trouble with that setup. :)