Help with Waterblock Design

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TaTs

Help with Waterblock Design

Post by TaTs » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:07 pm

Hello,
I'm starting a WC project and I'm looking for possible designs of waterblocks. The idea is to create a design and send it to be machined, probably using a CNC.
I've been looking around to find projects and right now I'm leaning towards the design shown in www.zfz.com Image
My question is: will this be a good block? And also what about measures. I was thinking of something like 5cm x 5cm x 3cm, with the chanell and barbs being 1/2". Do you think it will be adequate?

Any advice here will be really appreciated. :D
_______
TaTs

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:23 pm

i normallly dont point people to other places but i think you should really post this here http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=37 they will tell you what to do. i dont thing many of us make are own waterblocks. but in my opinion i really dont think that waterblock design will perform well. most likly worst than a maze. what makes you want to make your own block in the first place when there are soo many good options out there. swiftech 6000, d-tek white water, storm if you can find one, danger den tdx

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:29 pm

Likely the satisfaction of being able to say that you did it all from the ground up with your own hands.

Otherwise, I just can't think of any other reason.

TaTs

Post by TaTs » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:29 am

Well, thanks for the replies.
Blocks aren't really cheap in Brazil, that's why I'm trying to make my own design. I'm also considering creating more than 1 block. Cpu, NB, gpu, HD, psu. So good blocks will allow a better heat transfer.
There are a couple of guys here in Brazil creating and selling cpu blocks, but when it comes to the other parts I have no other options but to import them.

Anyway thanks for the hint. I'll check procooling and probably also overclockers australia.

TaTs

Post by TaTs » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:51 pm

I actually found a good design in procooling. I think I'll go for it.
It will be something like this.

_________
TaTs

Edit: I forgot to mention whose design this is. It was made by Jaydee116. :oops:

Straker

Post by Straker » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:42 pm

if the main purpose is to save money, you could also simply look for a low-profile (like 1u rackmount type) heatsink to convert to a waterblock - many different waterblock styles/designs are a lot like fins vs pins on a regular heatsink.

TaTs

Post by TaTs » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:18 am

Straker wrote:if the main purpose is to save money, you could also simply look for a low-profile (like 1u rackmount type) heatsink to convert to a waterblock - many different waterblock styles/designs are a lot like fins vs pins on a regular heatsink.
Hi Straker, actually it's not only to save money. I have already been asked by friends to replicate wathever I get for them. My final goal is to create 5 blocks, cpu, NB, gpu, HD, psu. In the end I want to remove all fans from my PC. To get real silence.
So not only I need a good block design but also I need to be able to replicate it.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:00 am

TaTs, did you get my PM? That design is good for the CPU Block, but not so much for GPU or chipset; too restrictive.

TaTs

Post by TaTs » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:35 am

Hi Edward,
yeah I got it. Thanks for the tip. I will probably stick with this one because it's easier to do comparing for an instance to one of Cathar's block. :wink:
As for the other blocks, I was discussing this with the guy that created this block jaydee116 and he mentioned the same thing, this is good for the cpu only, for the rest I should go for a less restrictive design.
As I said I'm willing to go for a no fan PC, not even for the radiator...