Possible watercooling setup, just a couple Q's.

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DryFire

Possible watercooling setup, just a couple Q's.

Post by DryFire » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:57 pm

Well after seeing the results ed had with his watercooling setup I started thinking about switching to water myself.

My proposed setup:
CSP-750
MCW6000/6002
Zalman VGA block for both vga and northbridge. (still debating this, may just not buy wb and wait till i buy some cards from the next round of cards)
Fedco 2-149 single pass rad or maybe 2-342 W/ quiet low flow fan(s).
7/16" ID tubing.

Main goals: Silence and overclocking

The questions:
Is single pass better or will a dual pass do better?

Also i may be getting a pair of Iwaki MD-20's from an auction, seeing as the MD-20 delivers 15 L/m (~4 gpm) with a max 3.4M (~11ft) head would a dual pass be better then seeing as restrictiveness would not be such an issue (taking into account I'm going for silence)?

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:15 pm

get a single pass heatercore. is is less restricitve than a dual pass. dont get the zalman blocks. get the dangerden maze 4 gpu and the maze 4 northbridge if you feel you need a northbridge block. as for the pump i would say just get a couple of csp 750 if you can find some place that has them in stock. a pair of iwakis would be overkill. or go ahead and get the iwakis and just use one if you can fit it in your case

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:40 pm

O i was just going to use one iwaki, but the auction I'm going to buy it from only has a pair of them. I will be selling the other one. (if i win it)

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:44 pm

how much would you be asking for the second iwaki

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:52 pm

I'm not sure yet. However they are used pumps, just FYI. (edited)

They are sold as is and have bare wires. I will test both just to make sure both work.
Last edited by DryFire on Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becks

Post by Becks » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:04 pm

go for the single pass... there really isn't any advantage to dualpass other than depending on your case it might make routing the tubing nicer

I'd go with the 2-342, more surface area = better :P Pretty much 1 fan vs 2 fans both blowing 1/2 as much, the 1 fan is louder.

I'm not all that into wcing the chipset or vid card... costs more for the blocks, extra tubing... more resistance... and i don't see huge gains. Maybe if you had a 6800 wcing it might save something... i got a puny 9600xt oced some with a zalman heatsink on it.. no problems.

the mcw6000 is a nice wb... it should be fine with a cps750...

I don't see gaining that much using a iwakis... the extra money you'd spend would be better spent ordering a storm (dunno how soon you wnat to build this)... i dunno...

if silence is your goal, better waterblock with quietest pump is the way to go... imo. You could get an avg block and then get a 'loud' pump to increase its performance..... or you could get a nice block and get a quiet pump and get hte same performance.

Trying to show this... a mcw6000@2gpm is beat by a cascadeSS@1gpm... I think the G4 (storm) is supposed to be similar to the cascadeSS.(not sure what flowrate this was at but anyways its just an example)

ANyways thats my thinking, right now I have a WW and eheim1048... i'm switching to cps750s (ordered) a single pass rad and trying to see if i can justify (and wait for) a G5 (silver storm).

ANyways thats my 2 cents

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:10 pm

I thought iwakis were supposed to be very quiet?

I was planning the waterblock for when i pick up a 6800 or some other card. As for the northbridge i was just going to throw it on because teh vga comes with 2 blocks.

If i could get an iwaki for the price of a csp-750 would it not be a good deal?

Becks

Post by Becks » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:50 pm

Yea Iwakis are supposed to be pretty quiet, never used one however... I've never seen anyone mention just how quiet is quiet. Only place I ever read about them is on procooling where quiet is never really the goal. Even my 1048 I wouldn't call quiet if it was put on the bottom of the case (it needs to sit on a piece of foam) because it vibrates enough to make noise if it touches anything. The fans on my rad spin around 200rpm when the computers idle.. a nexus120 @ 1000rpm is ~20db. So quiet can be relative to whatever your comparing it to.

Anyways I'm not making much sense, not trying to say don't get an Iwaki pump.. if your getting it for cheap they're supposed to be awesome pumps.

I was just trying to say when I did all this I decided on putting more money towards the wb and not spendin $100+ on a pump. If your getting it cheap, then it doesn't really make a difference.. so just nevermind me ;) hehe

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:44 am

I definatly plan to put it on some foam (actually covering my whole case in foam).

The fan you have spinning at 200rpm is that a nexus?

Also i would really like to get a Storm G4 but it will cost almost double the waterblock and I"ll have to wait a month or two.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:15 pm

someone outbid me by $1 3 mins before teh auction closed while i was at school :(

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:37 pm

that sucks

snutten

Post by snutten » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:41 am

A piece of foam under a 1048 is not enough if a 200 rpm Nexus is the reference, believe me. If you want silence, hang the pump in elastic cords, use soft silicon tubing near the pump, isolate the case internals. You shall then see the light.

neologan

Post by neologan » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:32 am

those iwakis wouldn't have been quiet enough for most people who visit a forum called silentpcreview :lol: . They are high quality and quiet for what they can do but i don't think they will compete with a little eheim 1048 for noise so the fact that you didn't win that auction may bea blessing in disguise.

BTW, i think two csp750's are the equivleent in performance to a D4, which is good :)

ferdb

Post by ferdb » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:23 am

Unless you use a fairly potent pump the MCW6000 is as good as any block out there and cheaper than most. Also unless you are going to run your fans pretty hard getting a Storm block is a waste of money, in a low noise system it will make little difference over an MCW6000. Don't put 2 CSP750s in series, the shaft seal is not designed for that situation. C-systems recommends not putting them in series. You don't need to anyway, they flow plenty of water. I have an MCW6000 and a BI pro II radiator and it still pushes over 1 gpm. If you get a 6800 generation or X800 generation video card you'll want to put a water block on it to get rid of the noise. Those video cards pump out an extraordinary amount of heat. You don't need to get one that cools the ram, heatsinks and a little air flowing past them will do the job. Danger Den Maze 4 or Swiftech MCW50 work fine. If you have a less heat intensive card you may want to pass on the GPU waterblock.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:30 pm

well i did get a chance to hear an md-20 in action and it was rather loud for my tastes, but then again they are monsterous pumps.

I think I"m gonna wait until i upgrade again to a next gen gfx card.