LR Storm G4 noise

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

LR Storm G4 noise

Post by pdf27 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:31 am

Just a quick question, can anyone who has one tell me if you can hear the water inside the block, and if so what pump you're using?
I'm planning out my next PC (to be built in a couple of months when I've paid off my student overdraft, having just started working), and from everything I've seen the Storm G4 is far and away the best - if you can get one, and if the impingement isn't too loud.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:54 am

I have not noticed any jet impingement noise from the block at all while running my system with the fans off (during filling & bleeding); the pumps are a pair of fully suspended CSP-750 Mark IIs from Bigfoot.

I will test again tonight for you, however, just to be sure, by putting my ear right up near the block.

EDIT: Okay, retested with a fanless PSU and none of the system fans going, both pumps remaining suspended in midair. Since the block isn't currently installed to the board (actually, the mainboard and most of the system contents have temporarily been removed), I was able to bring the block right up near my ear and I did not detect any noises that can be described as the sound of jettisoned fluid within a copper and delrin chamber. In actuality, the pump was the only thing I could hear, not the block, because of the way I have the system set up. If the block is 1" from my ear, the pump pushing coolant into the block is only 3" away, and in this scenario, there is zero noise emitted from the block. The pump is actually on the audible side from 3" from my ear, however.

Hope that answers your question?

-Ed

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:24 pm

Kind of a bummer IMHO. Would be pretty cool hearing a waterfallish sound comming from your computer! :D

DrCR
_______

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:10 am

Edward Ng wrote:Hope that answers your question?
Perfectly, thankyou very much indeed.
The Storm G4 has a much lower dT than everything else, so allowing me (in theory anyway) to run the water hotter and so the fans slower. I'd just read somewhere that with some impingement blocks you could actually hear some flow noise, so I thought I'd check somewhere where people would actually know what the noise (if any) was and where it was from.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:07 pm

if it does make noise i doubt you could hear it unles your ear was against it and you were in an antiechoic chamber with water pumped in from outside the chamber.

Blackeagle

Post by Blackeagle » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:11 am

I've seen a post by the Storms maker Cathar saying that the water in the block can be heard with a really extreme pump in use.

He said he could hear a hissing noise coming from the Cascade block when making use of a Iwaki MD30RLZT pump. But this is hardly a normal pump, it's the most powerfull pump used, and it's used by very, very few. That pump provides up to 28ft. of head (50hz country), which is 4X that of a Ehiem 1250 & 5X+ that of a Ehiem 1048.

Even with this pump Cathar described the sound as a modest hissing sound.

That set up allows for a XP mobile Barton chip to run at 2900 for Cathar. Noise isn't the issue for Cathar, temps & performance are.

The G4 should be a great choice for you, Cathar designed the Storm to perform very well in lower flowing systems as well as power rigs. I expect they'll sell well in the EU as well as the US. The Cascade sold very well in the EU, and the silver SS Cascade sold better in the EU than in the US or anywhere else. And the G4 Storm does better at most flow rates than the SS Cascade can.

Pro Cooling has a good review of the Storm by pHaestus. No noise rates mentioned, but good info regarding it's performance & a graph showing it as compared to a number of other blocks.

I'd suggest you see about getting on Cathar's waiting list for the next batch of blocks if you are interested in one. The first batch of blocks sold out in about 36 hrs.

I had a Cascade and liked it well, but I've sold it and am on the list for a Storm. Getting by for the moment with a TDX.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:35 pm

His MD-20Z is on 50Hz current down under though. Is only just slightly superior to the MD-20Z on north america's 60Hz.

I have a MD-20Z. :D

I wonder how acute the noise is. You got a link? On the AusOC forums or procooling? At any rate, I doubt it's audible at beyond very close distances or though a well foamed case. I wouldn't mind a water roar, but being the good SPCRize computer guy that I am, I wouldn't be to crazy about a hiss.

Is the MD-20Z extreme? You bet, but my setup won't exactly be 'normal' as a whole. The Iwaki MDs are know for their quietness, but even if it turns out to be a more procooling level of quietness, I'll have about 3-4" minimum of foam isolating it as it is. I could even include a concret barrier if I feel the need lol. :lol:

DrCR

What fan and layout setup are you using on your heatercore? (SPCR)

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:22 am

Blackeagle wrote:Pro Cooling has a good review of the Storm by pHaestus. No noise rates mentioned, but good info regarding it's performance & a graph showing it as compared to a number of other blocks.
Yeah, I've read it. I'm a (rather inactive right now) member over at ProCooling too.
Blackeagle wrote: I'd suggest you see about getting on Cathar's waiting list for the next batch of blocks if you are interested in one. The first batch of blocks sold out in about 36 hrs.
How do you get on the list? I've been checking Cathar's website just about every day at the moment since the second batch is due out pretty soon, and I don't want to miss getting one.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:07 pm

I was unaware that there is a list for new orders; as far as I can tell, you simply have to keep an eye on the Official Storm Thread at OCAU for him to announce the date and time at which he will begin accepting orders for the second batch.

There is a list of people slated to receive from the second batch, but that's only for people who placed orders for the first batch, but missed out because the first batch was oversold. That list is short and nobody is being added to that list, as far as I can tell. When Cathar announces he's taking orders for batch two, that's the time to jump on it, just like for the first batch.

All of us who have one now were carefully paying attention for the exact date and time to place our orders, and then as soon as the calendar and clock hit the mark, we submitted the e-mails.

I'm waiting and watching for him to begin taking preorders on G5; an initial payment is necessary for G5 because he needs to source the silver before fabbing the blocks.

-Ed

neologan

Post by neologan » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:28 am

i have heard in the past my lrww make wooshing water noises when i had 0 fans on. But in general you won't hear it and i only noticed it because the side panel was off and i was tinkering with fan placement with my ear almost in the case. Seriously, this will not be a problem for anyone, no matter how silent your pc is.