subzero water temps without condensation on the pipes?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LopeDogg

subzero water temps without condensation on the pipes?

Post by LopeDogg » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:27 am

is there any foolproof way to insulate pipes so that condensation doesnt form on them when running -10 or -20C degree water through the pipes?

is there any way to work out what thickness of various insulators would be needed? such as silicone or closed cell foam?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:14 am

Before trying to answer your question, I have three questions of my own:

1. Why?
2. Why?
3. Why?

:wink:

What's the rationale for wanting to go below 0°?

Ok, on to your actual question:

It's going to depend on lots of variables: pipe size, material, flow rate, coolant temp, air temp, relative humidity, and air speed inside the case spring to mind off the top of my head, but there are probably others. But as a practical measure, the thinnest pipe wrap insulation that's available, probably 1/4" or so, is probably plenty of insulation to keep the surface temp above the dew point. (That's what Asetek uses on their VaporChill units)

But remember, it's not just the pipe you have to insulate. You have to completely insulate the pump, every fitting, every surface of the WB that's not in contact with a heat source, the underside of the socket, the backside of the CPU, etc, etc.

It's a lot of fairly risky work for no real gain.

Check out the "Phase Change" forum at Procooling.com..those guys are the real experts in this sort of thing.

cansan

Post by cansan » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 pm

How would you run -10C water? Water freezes at 0C?

Unless you meant "fluid" and wrote "water"?

I think you could check phase change cooling kits and see what type of tubes they are using?

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:04 pm

un-moving water freezes at 0 C. if the water is moving it will not freeze at that temp. and he will mst likely be adding antifreeze to prevent growth and corrosion

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:29 pm

Me, I'm still wondering how he's gonna' get his coolant down to those temps without a noisy compressor.

-Ed

LopeDogg

hey

Post by LopeDogg » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:14 pm

well, with antifreeze it wont freeze till it gets pretty cold...
it would be a fun project to do.
for a gaming pc, where i could clock everything to hell.
i dont know for sure that ill get -20 degree temps, if i get anywhere near that ill be stoked...
the idea is to have two coolant loops
the inner loop circulates the water past all the parts which get cooled in the pc, and past the cold side of a 225w peltier or two...
the hot side is cooled by another loop which goes through an evaporative bong...

i dont have the link, but a guy on overclockers.com did some bong testing and got some awesome results, they have amazing cooling power.