water cooling - Koolance case

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

water cooling - Koolance case

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:47 pm

I realize there's probably some great sites out there dedicated to water cooling, but I'm surprised that its not mentioned here more often. I don't have a watercooled setup (yet) but it is my understanding that many of them are far quieter than equivalent aircooled setups.

I've been taken recently by the Koolance watercooled case. I've read nothing but great reviews on it. But was wondering what experience folks around here have had with watercooled setups, especially 'pre-built' ones.

Zyzzyx
- off to look at the online retailers for Koolance

gmat

Post by gmat » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:51 pm

Not good.
First, about noise, the Koolance features *two* 120mm fans on top, that are running on 12V.
Next, the performance of the watercooling system itself is poor, you can do better with a Swiftech or Alpha HSF.
Finally the price tag is too high.

Try DangerDen, D-Tek customs, Swiftech, BeCooling for example. In my opinion D-Tek are currently the kings, but a lot of ppl like DDen's designs.
A good heatercore with a *quiet* 120mm fan, 1/2" water lines, good waterblocks is what makes a good watercooling system, and can be called "silent" (if everythings get watercooled).
Count about $200 to put a feet in watercooling land (CPU block + pump + rad + tubing etc.). Add about $45 for each extra waterblock.

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:19 pm

if you have money and not much time, and must have water cooling, that's the way to go.... however, you must realize there are better pumps, way better blocks, better radiator (koolance radiator kit is actually pretty good but there are better ones). oh by the way, that case will be REALLY loud unless you do some hacking into that expensive radiator box and do a swap and voltage modification.

anyways, main reason why no one here will buy it is because it'll be loud and we seem to be more DIY people than the normal population. i can see a few people (including myself) getting a regular aluminum case, water cool everything including psu, passively cool it with car radiator...

two 120mm at 12v is just torture if you ask me.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:40 pm

Can't remember which review it was... but mentioned that Koolance case has 3 80mm fans up top. Look at the bump up top, there's not room for a 120mm fan. And there's various settings for quiet, temperature controlled, and full bore airflow.

<shrug>

I've got the DIY spirit, but not the tools, workspace, or time currently. :(

Zyzzyx
- pondering his way through life

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:59 pm

yea my DIY spirit also gets stomped on by my laziness everyday :)

regardless of 3 80mm fans or 2 120mm fans bottomline is koolance stuff isn't the best out there meaning compromises have been made and we'll have to pay for it by louder radiator fans.

to make a silent water cooling possible, you need eheim 1046 pump + best of the best water blocks + biggest radiator you can afford/keep/fit in your case. i like the koolance solution, and it's a viable kit, but only thing that keeps me away is that with that much money, i could've built a much better one with bigger car radiator so i don't have to have loud fans by the radiator.

Asmordean

Post by Asmordean » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:14 pm

My water cooler is silent if I want it.

You don't need to use Eheim. Most submersible pumps are near silent if they sit on a block of foam. Eheims are just built better than say, ViaAquas.

You will have problems going silent with an internal radiator. You have 30°C+ air coming out of your PC (could be higher if you have no fans) meaning that at best you will cool the water to the same tempature. You also are limited in size. In water cooling - size matters. A 80mm radiator with a high speed fan on it could be matched by a large radiator with no fan.

I have a 170mm radiator that can keep a 2.2GHz CPU running without a fan. It does push 50°C in the CPU (45°C water) but it works. A fan running at 4v can keep the CPU at or below 40°C. (Hagen Laguna Statuary 3 pump using a Maze2 waterblock)

For what you get, I feel that Koolance is too much money. You pay to have a "Cool" case. A DIY or even a kit solution costs a lot less and usually works better. They also tend to be noisey for my ears. While they don't sound like a delta-screamer or Vantec Tornado which makes some people happy, they wouldn't pass for the members of this forum.