A few questions about watercooling

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Red Dawn

A few questions about watercooling

Post by Red Dawn » Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:31 am

I want to give this a shot, and see if I can put some sort of watercooling setup together. Before I do so, however, I have a few 'general' questions about it.

I know that there are two types of cable width's and/or 'connector' (to the waterblocks) width's, generally speaking. 1/2" obviously allows more waterflow than 3/8", BUT if I use both 1/2" and 3/8" blocks in my watercooling setup, will I suffer some sort of performance drop, and will it be significant?
I have had a hard time finding waterblocks that all feature 1/2" 'connectors' (or is it nipples?), and am therefore comtemplating the possibility of using both types.

The radiator I intend to use, is most likely going to be custom fitted somehow, as I am going to either go with a big copper radiator from a car, or from a truck, and I've begun preliminary inquiries already about obtaining one. As it seems right now I could be able to get a big radiator from a car for about $21-32 (used one obviously), price for a radiator from a truck is unknown to me at the moment, but I will look into that sometime after christmas.

Now, I am wondering how clean must I get it, is it clinically clean, with no residues whatsoever that is the norm, or can a small amount of 'filth' be tolerated within the system?
Also, because I am intending to either have some sort of support structure to fix the radiator to the side of the case (although not touching the latter), or to have it standing by itself next to the case will a eheim 1046 pump be sufficient, or should I start looking for a bigger and badder one?
Waterblocks to be used initially will most likely be: cpu, northbridge, gpu, hd. Later on I want to include PSU as well, and a more sophisticated hd waterblock (if I can have one manufactured for me) that would resemble something of a box made out of copper to fit two drives.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll think of something I forgot later on, but this should give you a pretty clear idea of how I want to execute this project.
Oh, and if there's something fundamental to watercooling that I've forgot in my thoughts about it, feel free to tell me! :)

wussboy

Re: A few questions about watercooling

Post by wussboy » Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:18 pm

Hey Red Dawn. I've never watercooled before, but I have done lots of reading and am reasonably intelligent with many university courses under my belt, so you can at least consider what I say! :)
Red Dawn wrote:I want to give this a shot, and see if I can put some sort of watercooling setup together. Before I do so, however, I have a few 'general' questions about it.

I know that there are two types of cable width's and/or 'connector' (to the waterblocks) width's, generally speaking. 1/2" obviously allows more waterflow than 3/8", BUT if I use both 1/2" and 3/8" blocks in my watercooling setup, will I suffer some sort of performance drop, and will it be significant?
I think you can just assume that your system has about the capacity of your smallest connection. So, I'd assume that your system is basically a 3/8" system. Depending on what you are cooling, I think that 3/8 is fine, especially if you're just doing the CPU. But I guess you're not...
I have had a hard time finding waterblocks that all feature 1/2" 'connectors' (or is it nipples?), and am therefore comtemplating the possibility of using both types.

The radiator I intend to use, is most likely going to be custom fitted somehow, as I am going to either go with a big copper radiator from a car, or from a truck, and I've begun preliminary inquiries already about obtaining one. As it seems right now I could be able to get a big radiator from a car for about $21-32 (used one obviously), price for a radiator from a truck is unknown to me at the moment, but I will look into that sometime after christmas.
I've thought about doing this too. Let me know how it goes.
Now, I am wondering how clean must I get it, is it clinically clean, with no residues whatsoever that is the norm, or can a small amount of 'filth' be tolerated within the system?
I think you have to balance the issues. Obviously, the cleaner the better. But I don't think small particles are going to horrifically jam things instantly. However, particles = wear, so the dirtier the system is, the quicker things will wear down. I would guess the pump would be the first to go. Maybe the manufacturer has a spec on the site about particulate capabilities? I think if you left the garden hose running through the radiator for a day or so, it would get as clean as it's gonna.
Also, because I am intending to either have some sort of support structure to fix the radiator to the side of the case (although not touching the latter), or to have it standing by itself next to the case will a eheim 1046 pump be sufficient, or should I start looking for a bigger and badder one?
This I have no idea on, but I suspect you'll need something more substantial. Best bet? Buy one somewhere where you can take it back, and try it out. Let it run. See how hot it gets. Ask some questions at the store.
Waterblocks to be used initially will most likely be: cpu, northbridge, gpu, hd. Later on I want to include PSU as well, and a more sophisticated hd waterblock (if I can have one manufactured for me) that would resemble something of a box made out of copper to fit two drives.
I think the problem here is that as the water goes from one block to the next, it heats up, so it does less good the farther it goes. So if you run your hottest parts first, your coolest part may even be HEATED by the waterblock. If you run your hottest parts last, the partially-heated water is WAY less effective at cooling them off, so the parts that need it most get it the least.
That's it for now, I'm sure I'll think of something I forgot later on, but this should give you a pretty clear idea of how I want to execute this project.
Oh, and if there's something fundamental to watercooling that I've forgot in my thoughts about it, feel free to tell me! :)
An ambitious project, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Just plan carefully, work methodically, and for crying out loud post some pictures of it when you're done! :)

Good luck!

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:54 pm

Hi there wussboy. I am one who thinks in the lines of 'the more the merrier', so any contributions is of course taken under consideration.
wussboy wrote: I think you can just assume that your system has about the capacity of your smallest connection. So, I'd assume that your system is basically a 3/8" system. Depending on what you are cooling, I think that 3/8 is fine, especially if you're just doing the CPU. But I guess you're not...
No, I am not... and this occured to me too, the waterflow will be somewhat hampered by the smaller connections, since the 'loop' will be quite large in length I'll have to find 1/2" parts I guess. More searching around for me it seems. :)
I think you have to balance the issues. Obviously, the cleaner the better. But I don't think small particles are going to horrifically jam things instantly. However, particles = wear, so the dirtier the system is, the quicker things will wear down. I would guess the pump would be the first to go. Maybe the manufacturer has a spec on the site about particulate capabilities? I think if you left the garden hose running through the radiator for a day or so, it would get as clean as it's gonna.
Mmm, I was thinking of maybe using some sort of chemical cleaning fluid, fact is I just don't know how clean it should be, and what might be harmful over time. This is all very new to me.
I think the problem here is that as the water goes from one block to the next, it heats up, so it does less good the farther it goes. So if you run your hottest parts first, your coolest part may even be HEATED by the waterblock. If you run your hottest parts last, the partially-heated water is WAY less effective at cooling them off, so the parts that need it most get it the least.
Thought about this too, and I've decided to 'give it a shot', worst case scenario would be having to include a second radiator, so it's not that bad. I could probably get away with a pretty small one over the exhaust fan holes on the back as well, if needs be.
An ambitious project, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Just plan carefully, work methodically, and for crying out loud post some pictures of it when you're done! :)

Good luck!
Yes, I'm not going to put together everything in two seconds, I realize this might take me as much as up to two months, maybe more? Depends on the problems I encounter...
I will try and get hold of a digital camera for this, but if I can't, I'll use my regular camera and scan the pictures afterwards, not quite as good; but it does the trick alright.

Thank you. :)