Extra cooling for the Zalman Reserator @ CES 2006

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Slaugh

Extra cooling for the Zalman Reserator @ CES 2006

Post by Slaugh » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Zalman has unveiled a cooling add-on for the Resertator 1 and the Reserator 1 Plus. This module is placed on top of the Reserator, replacing the cover, and has a 140mm fan for extra cooling. Personally, I'm very happy with the cooling performances of my Reserator and this thing would be useless to me. For those who like overclocking or have heavy setups, this could be an interesting option.

Matbe, who's covering the CES 2006, took a few photos of this add-on:

Image Image Image Image

(click on a picture for a close-up)

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:01 am

I'm wondering how loud that thing really is..

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:04 pm

Here's a quote :lol:
Zalman is looking to expand its water cooling products, and even considering bringing out a water cooled power supply if it will pass European regulations.

It is currently working on a 14cm fan to add on to it Reserator Plus 1 water cooler, and is looking to bring out other water coolers for components such as the hard disk or PSU. 'This will be hard to get through the regulations, but there is the demand for it' a spokesman admitted.

The ZM-RF1 Reserator Fan Kit is a cyclindical tube that slides down over the top of the Reserator, and helps provide additional cooling. The current Reserator is as cool as the ambient air temperature, but if this is hot, then it does not cool a system as efficiently. By slotting on the Fan Kit, its 14cm fan increases its cooling capabilities.

The prototype on show at CES in Las Vegas was made from aluminium, but a spokesman said once released, it will be made of plastic. It will include the MC1 multiconnectors so that the fan can spin at high or low speeds.

He added: 'More people want to use the Reserator Plus 1 for SLI or dual core CPUs. The Reserator's performance depends on the ambient temperature because it's a passive system. By adding the fan it increases the performance.'

It will come out between now and the end or the second quarter – there was no firm date – and cost $40-$60.
No one else seems to be interested in this, kind of defeats the purpose of the Reserator heh? But the man does have a point, some people want to use it with SLI and Dual-Core rigs he ! :lol:

Imvd85

Post by Imvd85 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:56 pm

A more interesting and useful feature for the reserator would be to have a LED at the base so that you don't stumble on it in the dark.

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:16 pm

eh at the first sight at the 1st&2nd pic;I thought it was made by Thermalcake :D
rpsgc wrote: No one else seems to be interested in this, kind of defeats the purpose of the Reserator heh? But the man does have a point, some people want to use it with SLI and Dual-Core rigs he ! :lol:
It think it's a natural way for them to offer *fanned addition* for fanless cooler to gain more market,since on a lot of review site stated that the Reserator 'not suitable for overclocking'
Innovatek also add the cross flow fan/blower indentical to the one for CM Stacker, for their already passive Innovakonvekt.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:32 pm

is it indepedent power via its own electric outlet? If not, what power this fan?

I assume from pic.3 & 4, that the above c/w 2 different color, that pic. 3 & 4 is the add-on pic., not the original reservator 1+?

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:04 am

Where can I buy that new add-on for the reserator 1 plus because I want it, I always want a better cooling performance as well.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:52 am

Kev_Dawg wrote:Where can I buy that new add-on for the reserator 1 plus because I want it, I always want a better cooling performance as well.
It's not for sale yet.

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:02 am

rpsgc wrote:
Kev_Dawg wrote:Where can I buy that new add-on for the reserator 1 plus because I want it, I always want a better cooling performance as well.
It's not for sale yet.
When will it be for sale, I want to buy it real bad now because I want EVEN BETTER COOLING HAHA. Zalman says you can install an external pump, well I can not seem to get one that fits, what one would fit and work real well?

Kev_Dawg

Post by Kev_Dawg » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:02 am

BlueAvatar

Post by BlueAvatar » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:29 pm

Hah, that's pretty rad. I actually built my own ghetto version of that a few months ago (at the beginning of summer after a few HOT days and high CPU temps). It's pretty slack, but it does the trick on hot days. I only stick it on when I need it cos it just slides right off. The fan is sucking the air up through the fins and exhausting the hot air out the top.

ZalmanGhetto01
ZalmanGhetto02

and yes, that is a Crunchy Nut Cornflakes box :lol:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:14 pm

wow that exceeds any ghetto fabulous designs I have seen in over a year

thumbs up 8)

All in all, the fan might bring some people to purchase it, which will increase zalman profits, but they deserve it. if the res doesnt sell well, we wont ever see it again. only company out there who makes both quality and passive water cooling that is moderately easy to use.

sux to dismantle the old blue one that I have.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:30 pm

There's a short review of the Zalman ZM-RF1 on matbe (translated).

Here are the temperatures they measured on a P4 3.4 Ghz (Northwood):

And here are the sound levels recorded:

ShagMan

Post by ShagMan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:21 am

I bought one of these, didn't help me at all, and the fan is pretty loud for SPCR silence-levels.

I don't recommend this upgrade.