watercooling section needed!

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Graphite

watercooling section needed!

Post by Graphite » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:02 pm

we should have a water cooling section...one of the quietest ways to cool your computer very well.

For example, watercooling cpu, and gpu takes about 50% of the noise from inside the case in my example.

What i need is little tips and tricks to keep the 2 120's i'm going to have on the radiator from vibrating and/or making noise.

Evercool's 120s look really good for noise/air ratio. So having 4 of those with a fan controller should keep things pretty darn quiet.

Help opinions all good things. Help me out, i'm honestly exhausted right now, can hardly think.

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:20 pm

also...my computer will be largely over-clocked

lian li pc-75 with the radiator on top, with fan sucking air out, with a "scoop" to push the noise/air out the back.

I am noticing right now that my HDD's are getting VERY warm...i'm using suspension type mounting for hd's. Not TO worried about it...just don't wanting them to start giving me problems.

The biggest problem comes in the fact i'll be putting 3.3v into my ram....and they get pretty warm. I have a 80mm blowing on them right now...but with the pc-75 i don't know what i can get away with. Guess i'm just looking for ideas....ie how to mount a 120mm to blow air on ram while be mounted on the front of the case where the HD cages usually are. I will be taking the hd cages out. So i think a 120mm fan could be mounted at an angle to hit both sticks of ram....i'm rambling.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:40 pm

Been discussed before, nothing came of it.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=8143

I still support it though. Let's see if this thread picks up enough interest to PM MikeC about it. Maybe a poll?

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:35 am

I was greatly in favour of a water cooling section until I read this thread.
Seeing that Graphite's questions/problems is not really related to water cooling, this note would defenatly have ended up in the water cooling section just because he has a watercooled rig.

He has problem with fan mounting and airflow. Fan mounting problems belong in the fan section and airflow problem (RAM cooling) belongs either in fan section or in case section.

It is very important to get clear lines between the forum sections, so a water cooling section should preferably be restricted to pumps, water flow, waterblocks, choise or radiators etc. It should not include fan mounting, airflow, sound dampening etc.
Some areas will always be in the grey zone. E.g. with water cooling you often want/need a slightly larger case. So should the case discussion for a water cooled computer go in the water cooling section or in the case section?

I would also like to see a split of the "fans & controls" section into a "fans" section and a "fancontrols" sections. The line is much clearer between fans and fan controllers.

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:46 am

Speaking of watercooling, the Zalman Reserator 1 just went on sale. I am very tempted :)

Linkage

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:44 pm

It should not include fan mounting, airflow, sound dampening etc.
Case, airflow and noise issues are different between liquid-cooled and air-cooled systems. I have both types, each has distinct modding challenges.

A central section to focus on liquid cooled rigs would help those new to the dark art to find the light from experienced hands without wasting time and money.

An interesting idea indeed.