Lots of WC Questions from a Newbie

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Lots of WC Questions from a Newbie

Post by thetoad30 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:32 pm

Hello all,

I've been lurking around these SPCR forums and especially the WC forum for a while.

I have lots of questions for you if you would be kind enough to answer! :)

First off system specs:

Asus P5AD2-E Premium
P4 3.4 GHz Prescott (first version)
Sapphire X800GTO^2 OC'ed to 575/600
AC ATI Silencer 5 Rev 2
S12-500W PSU
3 WD 320 GB Sata
1 Seagate 120 GB Sata
Antec P180
2 Nexus and 2 Tricools on Low
Scythe Ninja

Here's the catch: I move my computer around a fair amount. I bring it to and from school on breaks of a week or more. Usually move this thing 2-4 times a year or a little more.

I was looking at the Reserator Plus, but I am concerned since I know NOTHING about how much cooling power watercooling actually has.

I *want* a GPU, CPU, and Northbridge block. I feel that this is important since I know with no airflow this thing gets rather hot.

I was considering a DIY option with a drive bay res. However, I don't want the water mixture to spill out.

I also don't know why people say that a single radiator won't be enough for my system and that I need a 3 * 120. Seems kind of like trading one source of noise for another since I already have 4 fans in my system.

Anyone have any ideas for me to consider? Is the Plus enough for me or will I kill the thing? How well is this made to transport a computer with? I don't take this thing to lan parties but I do travel with it several times a year.

Thank you very much for your time!

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:27 pm

The Asetek Waterchill kit

Going for a similar setup to yours...

I really don't think you need a 3x120 mm radiator unless you're running an insanely overclocked Prescott and an SLI setup, but I'm new to watercooling so yeah... The ATI Silencer doesn't really post temps that much better than stock cooling except it does it at a much lower noise level, so I think a 2x120mm radiator would be more than enough for your needs.

Yeah. Go read a bunch of reviews to see what the pros think, that's what I did.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:08 pm

I'm sure I posted this link earlier, but here it is again - http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... highlight=

This is one of the most helpful posts/work logs I've seen about quiet watercooling. - FG