Setup - Comments/Criticisms

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DirtyLude

Setup - Comments/Criticisms

Post by DirtyLude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:39 am

Okay, I currently have an empty P150 and a Reserator 1+ in box.

I have on order:
E6600
Asus P5W-DH
EVGA 7900GT KO

The reserator could handle this stuff adequately, but I want a little more cooling capacity without added noise, so I also ordered a:

It's the standard radiator, not the MAXI. I will be bolting this to the side of my case and adding it to the loop.

There's some tube connector fitting size issues I'll need to deal with and I will also need to replace the Reserator pump with an external pump. I'm thinking the MCP350.

Does anyone see any issues with this setup? I'm not looking for heavy overclocking and the computer is in my basement where ambient temp is pretty cool all the time.

I will be playing around with the North bridge and MOSFET's cooling on the board due to the lack of airflow in the case. There will still be a 120mm exhaust fan on the back of the case, but that's it for active cooling.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:27 am

Well except for the case and the water cooling, you've described my system.

You won't have any heat issues with this setup, in fact the WC is probably more than you need.

Are you going to WC the 7900? If so, you'll be home free. The stock cooler on the KO is very loud in 3D.

A single 120mm fan can cool the MB components just fine as long as the 9700 heat isn't being dumped inside the case (which the stock cooler does). If the 9700 is WC'd, I doubt if you'll need to do any case or MB mods at all.

DirtyLude

Post by DirtyLude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Yes, the Reserator comes with a GPU block as well as a CPU block. What I was concerned about is that the NB cooler looks like it depends on CPU fan blowing on it. In fact, they have that optional clip on fan for the cooler if you don't have a CPU fan. I would like to avoid that northbridge fan if possible as it looks small and noisy. Otherwise I might make some kind of baffle to move the airflow from the 120mm rear exhaust fan closer to the board as it's only job will cooling the board and the HDD's.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:21 pm

Opinions vary as to whether the heat pipe and extra radiator do much for the NB. Some even say that it transfers heat to the NB from the VRM MOSFETs.

All agree (and I do too) that removing the pretty "ASUS" covers from both the NB and SB heat sinks is mandatory. Also replacing the TIM with something good like Arctic Silver, especially on the SB. The stock heat sinks are pretty good once they have decent TIM and air flow.

Here's a step-by-step on cleaning up the NB and SB heat sinks: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=106563

I ended up replacing the whole NB gizmo with a Thermalright HR-05 so I could dial down the airflow even more. One caution: the P5W has only two hoops populated for the NB heat sink, and they're the opposite of what the HR-05 was designed for; I had to twist the adaptor quite a bit to mount it.

The TDP of the NB is 18W. It doesn't need a whole lot of cooling. Also, the back of the board is solid copper (StackCool) and spreads the heat pretty well.

This whole heat pipe thing is a bit of a mystery to me at this point.

Another mystery about this board: the CPU temperature sensor is not the CPU core temperature (you need Core Temp or Everest to read those). Instead it is a thermistor mounted near the CPU on the MB. This is doubly odd, since StackCool sucks the heat away from the socket causing the reported temperatures to be very low (more than 20*C below the core temperature).

DirtyLude

Post by DirtyLude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:42 pm

Great link, thanks for that. Not thrilled with his TIM application method, though. Good way to get air bubbles.

I actually have a HR-05 sitting here waiting for the board. It's one of the options I have for the NB.