I've been told my beast needs water

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nicoman

I've been told my beast needs water

Post by Nicoman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi everybody,

I've been forwarded from the System Advice forum, as it seems as if my system is a prime candidate for liquid cooling. The below is a condensation of the info given over there.

I work from home with 3D visualization and recently invested in the below system:

Case: Cooler Master RC-810-SSN
Case fan: Antec 75012 All Clear 120mm
PSU: Tagan Topower 900kW
Mobo: Supermicro H8QC8 Quad Opteron
CPU: 4 x AMD 2.0GHz 870 Dual Core Opteron
CPU fans: 4 x Thermaltake TR2TT A4014 TR2 M1
Discs: Western Digital 36GB 10000RPM SATA
Western Digital 74GB 10000RPM SATA
Western Digital 400GB 7200RPM SATA
Memory: 4 x Corsair CM72SD1024RLP-3200 1GB
Graphics: XFX Geforce 7900 GTX Extreme

I chose a reputable (so I thought, should've checked resellerratings.com) system integrator to put it all together and to come with recommendations and advice in order to make it as quiet as possible. Needless to say the system sounds like a small airplane and my wife is going crazy. I'm open to any suggestions, the CPU's are stock and if I do any OC in the future it will be very moderate.

I've seen companies such as CoolIt etc claim they can get down to 26db, but as far as I can tell they're not offering anything for a quad system like this. Can it be done? I'm open to all suggestions and if anyone can solve it I guess it must be the peeps here.

Picture is tilted, the PSU is in the bottom. It turns out there are 12 fans in total; 2 in the PSU, 4 on the CPUs, 1 on the video card, 2 on the motherboard and 3 on the chassi. According to a software that came with the mobo (Super Doctor III) the temperatures for the system is 37C and for the CPUs 41C, 38C, 40C and 45C. (In farenheit 98F and CPUs 105F, 100F, 104F and 114F). It lists five fans running 4115rpm, 2678rpm, 2721rpm, 2909rpm (for CPU1 to 4) and the fifth one at 1102rpm (system?).

I've disconnected fans etc for a short moment and based on this I've made the following, although subjective as it's hard to really compare, ranking of what I've found to be the noisiest. Bear in mind that I didn't dare have it running like this for more than a couple of seconds so some may be purely spinup related.

1) Unfortunately the graphicsboard seems to be the worst culprit, and it really spins up.
2) Probably the CPU fans
3) The PSU also spins up so it is hard to say, I got the feeling it came down after a couple of seconds though
4) The 2 motherboard fans has kind of an agressive high pitch sound
(small white ones on the nforce 2200? you can only see one due to the graphics board)
All in all though, after fiddling with it for a while and trying to separate the different sound generators, I would have to say that there isn't any specific fan that you can separate from the others with the possible exception of the graphics board. They seem to accumulate with no one really standing out.

I've seen that Koolance offer liquid cooling for just about anything from memory to graphics board, but is that primarily to cool OC'ed systems or is there a benefit in quietness as well?

Are all fans 5V? I'd like to separate them out and try them one by one without having to worry about frying my mobo and CPU's.

Wow, that turned out to be quite a mail. Hoping for the best, if you guys can't help me I guess no one can...

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:59 pm

Really you're going to have lots of trouble, IMO, to make that thing silent. The most worrysome components of noise will probably be the stock fans on the CPUs and the Harddrives.

If you like arts and craft lol You could make ducts for the CPUs that lead out to some exhausts. Then you would also have to find a way to suspend your HDDs, that's all there really is too it. If you wanted to add some sound absorption material you could do that. I'd suggest Acoustipack. Although if you find those too expensive, the cheap version of them would be my favourite 3M Scotch Brite Sponges. You can buy them for like $5 a pack. Should be able to find them at any Kitchen store or Canadian Tire or Home Depot.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1193/

That's a pretty cool mod that guy did in the link above. It's all done with really cheap materials that can be bought pretty easily for anyone.

darthan

Post by darthan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Well, the first question you should ask yourself is if silent is really the goal or just comfortably quiet. Comfortably quiet absolutely can be done, probably without watercooling. Silent almost certainly can't be done without a large investment of time and money and maybe (probably) not even then.

Also, don't listen to Chocolinx. After you clearly state that the worst noise producers according to your own listening is the graphics cooler and he/she goes and tells you to quiet your hard drives and CPUs, well, that tells what Chocolinx apparently knows about this.

There are two ways to go about quieting this machine: 1) gradual and 2) straight to watercooling. The advantage of gradual is that you might find that it is acceptably quiet with only a moderate amount of money and time spent and the disadvantage is that it might not work and you might wasted the money and effort on alternative cooling when you end up going to watercooling anyway. The advantage of watercooling is that, if you design your system right, it will be quiet, the disadvantages are that it will be expensive, complicated, and require regular maintenance. I am not up to date on current watercooling technology so I can't really give you much advice about that.

I'd say you should go with the gradual approach and start by improving aircooling. This means trying to identify the loudest item in the computer, and either quieting it, or replacing it with a quieter component (i.e. swap out your stock video card cooler for an NV Silencer or other aftermarket heatsink + fan). Then find the next loudest component and quiet or replace it. You have a couple of advantages here: you have some room to work with in the case for bigger heatsinks, and it seems like your components are currently running very cool so you can afford to trade cooling for quiet. Whatever you do, I should warn you: you have now started on an endless journey, a quest really, for the ultimate silent Tiny God of a PC and there is no stopping once you get addicted.

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Incidentally, you mention your PSU is spinning up- is there an intake underneath it, i.e. a hole in the floor of your case? I cant see if the mesh continues right to the back of your case, or if it's centred about the middle. It looks like it could be starving your PSU, if the fan isn't getting enough airflow it will spin up to try and accomodate it. You could maybe try turning the PSU over, so the intake is on the top of the box, and see if it continues to spin up.

The Graphics card should be able to be quietly cooled (even if not passively) by something like the new Thermalright HR-03 cooler- they say it can cool a 1900XTX, so it should be OK for yours, possibly with a large slow fan blowing across it.

As for the motherboard fans, you may want to look into an HR-05 for the lower chipset, and an HR-05-Sli for the one under the graphics card. You could probably include these with the HR-03 in a ducting system, to blow the hot air straight out the open PCI slots at the back of the case.

I dont really have any ideas for the CPUs, you'd need to find out what will fit for the front two, but you should be able to replace the back two HSFs with something quieter fairly easily in the mean time- Arctic Coolings' Freezer Pro's are ridiculously cheap, for the performance that they provide (not sure if they're compatible with the motherboard though).

Hope this helps (and apologies that it's not about W/C)

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:06 am

Also, don't listen to Chocolinx. After you clearly state that the worst noise producers according to your own listening is the graphics cooler and he/she goes and tells you to quiet your hard drives and CPUs, well, that tells what Chocolinx apparently knows about this.
That's a bit harsh IMO, in the other thread the OP stated that ALL the CPU fans spin at over 2000rpm, some 3000rpm (!!), so they must be contributing to the noise somewhat.

rhuebner

Re: I've been told my beast needs water

Post by rhuebner » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:28 am

Nicoman wrote:I've seen that Koolance offer liquid cooling for just about anything from memory to graphics board, but is that primarily to cool OC'ed systems or is there a benefit in quietness as well?
It can be for either or both. The coolest possible system (not including exotic subzero stuff) would be watercooled using a large radiator with high speed fans pulling lots of air through it. But that's rarely necessary; you can almost always get quite good temperatures with slow fans moving a fairly low volume of air very quietly.

Until the past couple years, water cooling had some advantages in quietness, but modern air cooling heatsinks have caught up the difference. Now you can be very quiet either way. With your monster rig, I'd shoot for very quiet, which is quite doable, and not worry about near-silence, which is harder and likely more than you really care about.

Before tackling watercooling, I'd ask how handy you are with tinkering with stuff, in your computer or otherwise? Installing a watercooling rig isn't particularly hard, but it will involve some learning curve and a fair amount of fiddling about, and you'll need to be very careful and meticulous to avoid problems.

Since this is your daily work computer, you can't afford to take chances with it, and you can't afford to have it out of production for long. You should be able to get by just fine with better air cooling instead of water, and it would allow you to phase in the fixes gradually over time instead of being down for a lot of work at once.
Are all fans 5V? I'd like to separate them out and try them one by one without having to worry about frying my mobo and CPU's.
The standard PC fan is 12V by default, i.e. if you just plug it in without taking any extra steps, it'll use 12V and run at full speed. But... most fans work perfectly well with less than 12V, they just run slower (and much more quietly). Controlling the voltage to the fan is the standard method for controlling the fan's speed and thus noise. The standard practice for quiet air cooling is to run the largest quiet-design fan you can fit, at the lowest voltage that gives you enough airflow for decent temps.

The current majority favorite is the 120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12. It'll run at anywhere from about 400-1400 RPM, given 5-12V. At full speed it's clearly audible, but not as loud or annoying as most fans. At slower speeds it quickly becomes basically inaudible at more than a few inches range. The Nexus Real Silent Case Fan is also very popular, but since it's really just a Yate Loon with a lower max speed, I prefer to get the YL and have the full speed range available. The Nexus is good if you want quiet without bothering to control the voltage somehow; it's very quiet even at full speed.

Speaking of which, the easiest way to do that is probably using a Zalman Fanmate. It's a little box that plugs in between the fan and the power supply, with a knob to adjust the voltage. They're cheap and useful. For more automated setups, another popular choice is software control using the utility SpeedFan, if your motherboard has suitable fan connections and the circuitry to control them built in. It lets you set up your fans to speed up and slow down according to current temperatures, along with monitoring what your current speeds and temperatures are in the first place.

Since you say the graphics are the first suspect, I'd suggest an easy fix would be replacing the standard dustbuster cooler with a Zalman VF900-Cu heatsink/fan. It's very effective and very quiet at low speeds, and it's pretty easy to install. I use two on my SLI setup, and just leave them set to low speed all the time. I was originally all set to make them heat-responsive, but they work so well even at low speed that I never need to turn them up, even during long gaming sessions. And I can't hear them at all with the case closed.

The CPU heatsinks are a bit more of a challenge. There are lots of good, very quiet replacement choices available, but the best tend to be quite large, and the two CPUs in the front are too close together for most of them. Luckily, your CPUs aren't very hot, so you should be able to get by with smaller alternatives. Maybe Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu? Yes, I like Zalman, they're among the best. Just FYI, Thermaltake is, umm, not highly thought of by most in the know, for either air or water. Avoid.

Those two exhaust fans on the back panel could easily be replaced by Yate Loons. They're on sale here for 4-5$ a piece, and you can get most of the other stuff I mentioned there too; Petra's is a favorite shop of mine.

The above changes will make a huge difference in your noise level. Somewhere along the way you may decide it's good enough. If not, the next step would probably be those Raptor hard drives, either hanging and/or enclosing them.

Yeesh, see what you get started when you jump into a bunch of fanatics and push their buttons? I think that's quite enough from me for now. Good luck.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:18 am

Those two exhaust fans on the back panel could easily be replaced by Yate Loons. They're on sale here for 4-5$ a piece
Jab-tech also has them for $3.75 ea, or $3.25 if you buy 3 or more.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:18 am

You can test all fans at 5V, in worst case your computer will throttle (or whatever AMD does ;-)). Unless you disable all safety features you can't fry anything.

You could try to change cpu-coolers and fans. Arctic Freezer 64 should fit and it's rather quiet, especially at 5V
Remove fingerbars from all fans.
Replace those motherboardfans with heatsonks, Zalman has a couple of versions
The GPU might be slowed enought with RivaTuner. I heard that cooler is extremly good. It can be run on a 7900GTO at 5V (unless I'm confused)
Otherwise go passive with Aerocase cooler: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article650-page1.html

Those HDDs probibly need some softmounting as well, might be a future noiseproblem ;-)

Remove that topmounted little fan and plug the hole. Might prevent some noise to reach your ears.

Just some thoughts :-)

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:07 pm

here's something you can try:

two loops

loop 1: Eheim 1048 or Laing DDC -> MCW6000 -> MCW6000 -> PA120.2 -> T-line -> back to pump

loop 2: same as above, with addition of an EK FC78 or some other GPU block

PA120.2s are supposed to be damn good rads (not able to substantiate claim with personal experience, too expensive for a paper boy :( ), but I don't know how much heat an Opteron 870 dumps into a watercooling loop.

And for those of you wondering why I chose the MCW6000, it's largely flow-agnostic and relatively unrestrictive.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Quieting this computer likely will require a fair bit of money and effort. Even if air can provide the necessary results, you'd be looking at new CPU HSFs, a GPU cooler, case fans and possibly a PSU. Water would require 5 blocks, pump, rad and better fans. In either case, you'd still be limited by the noise of 3 HDs without buying a bunch of enclosures.

This system would be a good candidate for Computing In Another Room. A very low-powered PC would be fine for Remote Desktop, not to mention typical web-based activities. Before sinking $200-500 into aftermarket cooling, you should at least consider this approach.

rhuebner

Post by rhuebner » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:41 pm

Normally an excellent idea, but he says this is a graphics workstation, used mostly for 3D visualization work. You won't get good display performance trying to send all that graphics bandwidth through to a remote desktop (assuming the need to rotate, pan, and zoom, not just static images).

On the other hand, what's the max length of a DVI cable? You might be able to do it without using remote desktop.

Nicoman

Post by Nicoman » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:50 pm

First of all I want to thank all of you for some incredible advice.

I'm starting to realize the complications as the info slowly sinks in. The consensus seems to be that I have to choose a route, either go for liquid cooling or improve my fans. I'd say that I'm reasonably handy so I'm not intimidated by a WC solution (yet) and very quiet would definately be acceptable as opposed to completely silent. Unfortunately there are no convenient closets nearby so a long DVI cable won't help.

Liquid cooling pros:
- Seems more efficient
- Once it works I shouldn't have to worry if I decide to overclock

Cons:
- Harder to install
- Can't cool the PSU?
- May not be more quiet if I want an internal radiator?
- Risk for leaks

Fan based pros:
- I can work on it step by step

Cons:
- Good CPU heatsinks may not fit in my tight mobo
- More complicated to control fanspeeds, needs monitoring (Speedfan doesn't seem to find the fans on my mobo)

I have obviously a bit too high speed on some of the fans, but what is an acceptable temperature for an AMD Opteron if I install fanmates? 50 Celsius?

In terms of water cooling, what would happen if I put for instance Koolance coolers on the CPUs and the GPU and swapped the two big ones in the case to something like Yate Loon? Would it be a dramatic difference you think, or would the pump and rad fans etc for that many cooling points create a similar level of noise? Is there such a thing as a quiet internal pump/radiator? noobtard, your post was completely hieroglyphic to me until I started googling. Now it seems very interesting. I'll read up on this a bit. Any other suggestions, perhaps more of a kit with the pieces I need?

Given that I'm stuck with the PSU, is there any way to cool an existing PSU? I tend to remember good advice somewhere that water cooling and PSU doesn't belong together. Are there Yate Loon fans that small and if so, how do I measure so that the PSU gets enough cooling since it doesn't have a sensor? There is indeed a hole in the case below.

About the fans, is there some sort of clever test tool to test fans? Some little PSU that gives 1-12V and can see the rpm? I'm obviously not an electrican so the question might be extraordinary stupid, but it would be great for me to go over them one by one and see the speed. A Zalman fanmate connected to a 12V transformer sounds reasonable but how do I see the speed?

Again, big thanks for all help so far, I know I'm asking many questions here but I'm still in the dark.

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:47 pm

you can always try an external waterbox.

Basically, pump, rad, res go in a separate enclosure that can be located a short distance away from the computer, like behind your workstation. Not only is it thermally isolated from the case, you can also have the pump and fan noise behind your desk, where you won't be able to here it as much.

Also, this would allow you to have very little noise in your system, since you are now no longer shackled by the heat dump of four ( :shock: ) processors and a GPU.

And I can't really recommend a kit for a 4-proc system... I don't think most companies have that in mind :wink:

you can have 4 Danger Den TDX blocks (friend has them, experienced no temp difference between 1 setting on D5 and 5 setting on the aforementioned D5) and a GPU block like... uh... a Danger Den Maze 4.

waterbox (should you decide to follow that route) can look like this from top-down:

120.3 radiator such as PA120.3 or Swiftech MCR320-QP (a rebranded Cooltek)
pump...................................................................................Res

with a mesh panel or something on the pump&res side, so it pulls air laterally.

if you're scared of leaks (like me), you can use MCT-5 for coolant.

unlike some forums filled with immature people, this forum is full of REALLY helpful people, so don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

oh, and here's an excellent site for buying watercooling stuff:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/

zds

Post by zds » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Nicoman wrote:FI have obviously a bit too high speed on some of the fans, but what is an acceptable temperature for an AMD Opteron if I install fanmates? 50 Celsius?
Depends of the CPU, but you should be safe all the way until 65 Celsius, if not more.
Nicoman wrote:In terms of water cooling, what would happen if I put for instance Koolance coolers on the CPUs and the GPU and swapped the two big ones in the case to something like Yate Loon? Would it be a dramatic difference you think, or would the pump and rad fans etc for that many cooling points create a similar level of noise? Is there such a thing as a quiet internal pump/radiator? noobtard, your post was completely hieroglyphic to me until I started googling. Now it seems very interesting. I'll read up on this a bit. Any other suggestions, perhaps more of a kit with the pieces I need?
Ok, here comes my take.

My guesstimate is that whether you go with air or water you will need fair amount of money and time to make your system tolerably quiet and neither route counts out gradual enhancements. The power density here is so high that quiet air cooling would have to struggle to keep it cool, which increases the amount of effort, trial and error and cost.

The water cooling as such is more complicated, but as the quiet air cooling is close to it's limits here and water cooling is nowhere near its limits, that balances the cost and effort to close enough so that I'd call it a tie.

And yes, the advantage for water cooling is that it has a lot of potential even after removing all that heat. Here you can explore some of the issues you might encounter when air cooling a powerful rig: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article672-page1.html

Another possible advantage of water cooling is that you can counter some peaks with it. First, water has very high thermal capacity so small peaks just disappear and then as the cooling is centralized, you can specify the cooling for a little less worst case, as it is next to impossible to have *all* the parts peak at the same time and remain there for any longer period of time.

This is especially true when you run Cool'n'Quiet. It underclocks CPU(s) when they are under low use, so they produce even less heat when idle. And with 8 cores, most of them are idle most of the time your machine is on.

Your idea of starting with the CPUs and the GPU is a good one. In the bottom of this post is my take for the parts.
Nicoman wrote:Given that I'm stuck with the PSU, is there any way to cool an existing PSU? I tend to remember good advice somewhere that water cooling and PSU doesn't belong together.
Why are you stuck with it? It is possible to get a water-cooled PSU, but their prices are really high and capacities quite low. Instead I'd pick a new PSU, like some of the Seasonic 600/650/700W models. Many of them were recently reviewed on this very site:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article656-page1.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article676-page1.html

Tagan is known to be one of the most noisy PSUs and then you do not need 900W of power. Lets count the worst case:

CPUs: 4*95W = 380W
GPU: 120W
Hard drives: 2*12W, 1*11W = 35W

Total: 535W

Even if you count the motherboard and the rest of the periphepals, you are well within limits of a 600W PSU. Just make sure to pick one that can truly deliver it, not just for a peak..

And remember that it is very hard to get your system draw even that amount of power, even more difficult for any longer period of time. This means most of the time your system will draw like ~150-250W worth from the wall.

Hard drives are easy ones, just suspend them: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html
Nicoman wrote:A Zalman fanmate connected to a 12V transformer sounds reasonable but how do I see the speed?
Fanmate has a knob that you use to adjust the speed. Other than that, you can also run some fancier controllers, like thermally controlled mCubed T-Balancer series: http://www.t-balancer.com/english/bng.htm

I'd try connecting the fans so that when the speed changes, all of them change speed. This is to counter bad interaction between them.

You can also just make them run at 5/7V, here is how: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page1.html

And then to my take on the parts:

-4*EKWaterBlocks CPU block and 1*GPU block
http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_i ... cts_id=128
Another option for the blocks might be Swiftech Apogee and its GPU variant.

-2*Thermalright HR-05 for chipsets
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... t_hr05.htm

-Seasonic 600/650/700W hi-efficiency PSU

-2*Laing DDC/Swiftech MCP350 pump (the original 10W model with acrylic top, others are noisier

-dual-ddc acrylic cover to connect the pumps in series
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=20552

-radiator accepting 3*120mm fans or two 2*120mm fan radiators

Reasoning:

As noise is the primary concern, we do not need the last fraction of the cooling power, if it comes with high cost on either noise or water flow restriction. Thus I picked pretty regular (but inexpensive and high-quality) waterblocks that should provide low flow resistance and adequate cooling.

Laing DDC was chosen as the pump as I know it to be quiet (the 10W model, with acrylic top) and as it has high pressure head, especially when connected in series with the dual-top. The dual-top also adds some redundancy, giving you time to save your work and shut down the machine before it overheats, should another of the pumps fail.

For chipsets I selected Thermalright heatpipe coolers, as they are the most powerful passive chipset coolers I know of. As water should take heat out of the case, the heat sources within the case are chipsets, hard drives, voltage regulators and memories, and they should stay cool with pretty minimal air flow.

Tubing is then an issue for debate, and I except it has to be tried out to be sure about what solution works. I'd start by connecting the CPU blocks series-parallel in 2+2 combination and then running all the water through the GPU block. This way you could lower the CPU block restriction, and in effect the pumps would have to push through just less than 2*CPU block restriction (as there is double the amount of space to move through) and GPU block, which should be well within limits of the dual-DDC.

Parallel blocks naturally mean less effective cooling, but as said, you are not after the very last degree or two, and almost any flow (with properly cooled water) should be enough.

Here you can see how some common waterblock react to the flow:
http://www.systemcooling.com/images/rev ... e25big.gif
http://www.systemcooling.com/swiftech_apogee-09.html

As you can see, halfing the flow often means less than a degree of Celsius in the CPU temperature. On the previous page of the same article you can also see that lowering the flow reduces the needed pressure a lot. In other words: it should not be any problem to run the blocks in parallel, as few degrees are pretty irrelevant in this case.

And as your chassis has PSU on the floor, natural place for the radiator(s) is the top. When the big heatsinks are replaced by smallish waterblocks, it should have lot of space to fill and breath. I'd have fans suck air through the radiator and then to outside, but this is also a question where there is no certain answers about what is the best configuration.

This kind of configuration would enable you to replace the small and whining fans with like 4 120mm fans running below 1000rpm. And as you might know, usually the bigger fans move more air for the same amount *perceived* noise, as the noise falls to frequencies that are harder for human to hear. Some of the benefits are also purely physical, so bigger fans also cause somewhat lower absolute noise, but here is enough to know that bigger is better, to some extend.

With 3 120mm fans drawing air out from the case, you might not even need a case fan, but it's up to you to experiment. Basicly by blocking/widening openings in the case and possibly making some air guides you are able to control where the cool air enters the case (as there is negative pressure do to radiator fans) and thus make sure all the components are adequately cooled.

Another option is to take the radiator out of the room to somewhere where the radiator fans cannot be heard so easily.

For fans, take a look at fans&control section in these forums. You want to have your fans heavily undervolted, so in normal operation they run below 1000rpm. And if that is not enough to cool your machine, usually noise-wise is better to add more low-speed fans than to have the existing ones run faster. I personally like Silverstone FM-121 fans, as their motor noise is almost non-existent and they can move a lot of air if needed, but good 120mm fans are sold also by Nexus, GlobalWin/Liebermann, Yate Loon, Adda, AcoustiFan, PAPST and Thermaltake.

And rule of thumb is that as long as the machine is stable, the temps are ok. PSU shuts down if it overheats, and you can set the CPUs to do the same from BIOS.

Naturally you can also cool chipsets, PSU, memories and hard drives with water, but often it's not necessary.

zds

Post by zds » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:42 pm

zds wrote: -radiator accepting 3*120mm fans or two 2*120mm fan radiators
Forgot to explain this part. Swiftech tells about their own 3*120mm radiator:
Under the test conditions this indicates that the MCR320 can dissipate in excess of 400 Watts while maintaining a 10°C temperature differential between the coolant and the ambient air.
Which means that it should do just fine in your system, even with low-speed fans. You need to push really hard to keep the system drawing even that 400W for any longer period (to get the water heat up) and even then you have plenty of headroom, as temperature gradients over 10 degrees are not an issue in this case.

Depending on where you live, you have something like 35-40 degrees between ambient air and the point where CPU gets too hot, so you do not need to push the cooling system to keep the machine just 10 degrees over ambient.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:20 pm

rhuebner wrote:You won't get good display performance trying to send all that graphics bandwidth through to a remote desktop...
Good catch. I had rendering in my brain when I wrote that. I second your suggestion for remote with extended KVM cables.

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:20 am

I do agree with zds with various of his points, and to emphasize, I think this is the perfect example to showcase water cooling. I can’t imagine 4 monstrous heatsinks with 4 120mm fans with any space left for any efficient air duct to play around. Water cooling should provide a much elegant solution, by far.

If you choose water cooling:
*Don’t use anything higher than 3/8â€

Nicoman

Post by Nicoman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:18 pm

Thanks for all your ideas so far and a special one to zds, your response was incredible and I must confess I'm still digesting most of the info in it.

One thing though that I don't dare compromise on and that's the PSU. This board is apparently tricky, the company that built it tried several PSUs before finding this one that posted properly, one 700W had it's overload protection kick in and PC&C 1kW had the wrong combination of rails etc. SuperMicro has 1000W as a requirement and one of the 12V rails has to be 32A.

The PSU is listed as 19db-26db depending on load. Will it be a showstopper if I keep it? I.e. will it render the water cooling efforts useless?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:06 pm

Nicoman wrote:The PSU is listed as 19db-26db depending on load. Will it be a showstopper if I keep it? I.e. will it render the water cooling efforts useless?
If those numbers are real (ie, actual 1 meter dBA measurements), then that supply is very quiet. It must have a very big fan!

Nicoman

Post by Nicoman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:29 pm

Hmm, I don't know if that's 1m dBA measurements? It's what it says on the label.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:39 pm

Well, the dB numbers are probably suspect, but the RPM numbers are very specific: the fan stays below 1100 RPM at loads below 60%.

That would suggest to me that this PSU should be very quiet under all but the most demanding of circumstances.

zds

Post by zds » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:04 pm

Nicoman wrote:The PSU is listed as 19db-26db depending on load. Will it be a showstopper if I keep it? I.e. will it render the water cooling efforts useless?
Remember to take manufacturer dB numbers with grain of salt. Even non-silencing hardware sites have quoted Tagan to be loud, so I am really surprised if those numbers are correct.

And no, it does not render the effort useless, it's just that you cannot get any lower noise than the loudest component in your system.. so basicly once watercooled, you'd be listeting to that Tagan, not much else. Compares to multiple fans, many of them of the annoying small whiners, this should already be a big enhancement. You can then listen to it for some time and then decide whether to go further.

When going further, what I'd suggest is to get a deal where you can return the Seasonic if it doesn't work. I am fairly certain that it works, but testing will ultimately tell it.

MB/CPU/GPU manufacturers tend to overrate the PSU need as many of the cheap PSUs are not able to offer their full rated wattage _and_ keep it properly regulated. And many PSU manufacturers rate their units per some pretty questionable numbers, so there's a difference between 700W and 700W units.

Naturally I cannot guarantee anything, but I'd really give Seasonic a try. It's one of the most reputable PSU manufacturers and as they mostly cater to OEM market, not retail, their numbers tend to be real.

I also recommend you to read through the very well written article on this site about selecting a PSU, especially starting from this page: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html

Also one thing to do is to plug power meter to the wall outlet and then load the system heavily. Naturally then you get a reading that's like 20-30% higher than the DC consumption (due to power conversion loss), but it should give you idea of the ballpark you are on with the amount of real power needed.

When it comes to multiple rails, not this from the SPCR review of the 700W M12:
The 700W capacity is backed up by a +12V line that is 56A strong. The rail is nominally split into four rails, but this is only to satisfy the arcane requirements of ATX12V — requirements that have been unofficially waived for over a year. In reality, there is only a single +12V rail.
And also take a look at this (linked to the article mentioned above):

http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/M12-700/index3.html

The most interesting find after the unit has been dissected:
What Seasonic tells me is that there was an issue with high end video cards overloading a single 12V rail. So with Intel's blessing, Seasonic removed [over-current protection between the lines].
In laymans terms: there really is only one line.

Nicoman

Post by Nicoman » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:24 pm

I'm in the process of creating a purchase list that I will no doubt present here before I press the order button. A couple of things have come up though...

1) I can't fit a Thermalright on the Northbridge due to my video card, which is right above it. After I remove its own heatsink I might be able to put a water block there with the tubing on each side of the card, but it is really tight. And yes, that is the only slot that's x16 compatible (although it's really only 8 lanes).

2) I'm thinking of putting a dual 120mm radiator where my current two fans are, pushing out air from the case, but I wonder about the dimensioning. I haven't been able to find any place on the net that suggests actual load calculations in order to size radiator and pump. I have between 10 and 14 water connections depending on the solution for the chipset.

3) EkWaterBlocks seems solid but are they available in the US? Doesn't seem so.

4) Noob question, I'm almost sure I know this but... When they offer water blocks for 939 and AM2 (and not listing 940) I'm going with the 939 right? I tend to remember that they changed heatsink format for AM2.

5) Suggestions for reservoir?

As for the load on the system I would say it is consistently high. I'm using it almost 24/7 for background rendering, even when I'm working directly on it with 3D modelling so for me it is a major benefit that it's not only silent, but cool as well.

zds

Post by zds » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:17 pm

Nicoman wrote:1) I can't fit a Thermalright on the Northbridge due to my video card, which is right above it. After I remove its own heatsink I might be able to put a water block there with the tubing on each side of the card, but it is really tight. And yes, that is the only slot that's x16 compatible (although it's really only 8 lanes).
They have another model for SLI motherboards, where the heatpipes are shifted sideways few centimeters to work around video card being exactly on top of the NB.
Nicoman wrote: 2) I'm thinking of putting a dual 120mm radiator where my current two fans are, pushing out air from the case, but I wonder about the dimensioning. I haven't been able to find any place on the net that suggests actual load calculations in order to size radiator and pump. I have between 10 and 14 water connections depending on the solution for the chipset.
Many manufacturers give you the C/W number, which basicly means how much (in degrees Celsius) the water temperature will rise per watt of power put to the loop.

Manufacturer numbers naturally are tailored to sell the product, so if you can, pick some from some independent review. Also remember that you want a radiator which is designed to work with low airflow, and that you need to something like double the C/W numbers as you will be using low-speed fans. You certainly can cool your rig with a single 2*120mm radiator, but can they do it with low noise, that's something that's to be seen.

For example Swiftech gives you C/W numbers in relation to flow, iirc they were on a 0.04C/W for dual and 0.025C/W for triple fan radiator. So for 550W load, temp rise (from water to air) would be 21.2 and 13.25 degrees respectively. That's manufacturers numbers and measured with (noisy) Delta fans, so with quiet fans I'd estimate something like 40 and 30 degrees.
Nicoman wrote: 3) EkWaterBlocks seems solid but are they available in the US? Doesn't seem so.
No, but they ship to US. In fact, all the EK users I have seen this far have been from US..
Nicoman wrote: 5) Suggestions for reservoir?
Anything goes, and you can even do without. If you have not read the Chylld's Guide to Watercooling, which is sticky for this forums, read it now :-). It's sticky for a reason, and it explains a lot of things, like the reservoir-thingy.
Nicoman wrote: As for the load on the system I would say it is consistently high. I'm using it almost 24/7 for background rendering, even when I'm working directly on it with 3D modelling so for me it is a major benefit that it's not only silent, but cool as well.
Yeah, but Windows showing 100% load does not still mean it's running every component at the very highest speed. If you are rendering, it most likely means at least the GPU is idling and CPU's are spending a lot of time waiting for the system memory to bring them new data, as 3D models are not exactly able to fit to the processor cache.. And the discs are pretty much idle, or if they are not, CPUs are waiting for them.

So, unless I see some hard numbers, I doubt the system will use more than some 350W of DC power even when rendering.

But if you want to make the rig run quiet _and_ cool, just add more radiator area. If you have budget for it, you might install like full Konvekt'O'Matic set for both sides of the chassis.. But that's something that has no hurry, most likely you get the system running just fine with a single 3*120mm rad, or maybe even with 2*120mm rad, and run a lot more quietly already. Then when you know how it behaves, you can throw in some more hardware. Even if you have to use some 2000rpm 120mm fans for some time, their noise is still a lot easier to tolerate than those small whiners.

Link to Konvect'O'Matic (Alphacool Cape CORA is the same stuff re-branded).

They are passive, but also cost a fortune.

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:42 pm

For reservoir, I recommend that you get this one from Swiftech:

While it's possible not to use a reservoir, getting one will make your life easier, especially with such a large loop. The reservoir is also a good way to prevent running your pump dry, which, in the case of the DDC, running it dry would damage it.

www.subzeropcs.com has some of the cheapest Swiftech components around. The chipset waterblock is $19.99 which usually retails at $30+. It's not a masterpiece in waterblock design but it gets the job done.

www.dangerden.com has an extensive list of radiators and specs with dimensions. For the most part they are accurate, could be off by 1 or 2 mm, but that's natural. I'd recommend you go with a dual Swiftech or dual Black Ice. You might hear about Thermochill being the best but in my opinion it's overrated in both value and price.

www.sharkacomputers.com has the The Alphacool modified version of the Laing DDC 12V for $89.99 which is a good deal. The clear top allows for better pump performance and noise isolation, ie it'll make the pump much more quieter. It's general consensus now that the DDC 10w with the acrylic top is the best performing AND quietest pump. Please note that there is a DDC @ 18w rather than 10w, beware! it's much noisier.

CPU blocks: I don't think there is a clear favorite, I'm inclined to go with either the Swiftech Apogee or Alphacool NexXxos, but I'm not sure how appropriate they might be for your loop. Keep in mind since you'll have so many blocks, it's important that they don't restrict flow much.

oh, and don't forget, use 3/8" tubing!! :)

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:53 pm

EK Waterblocks WILL ship to North America, and it is waaay cheaper than shipping from Germany.

a Thermochill is damn near impossible to overload, and a PA120.2 performs at the same level (if not better than) the MCR320-QP.

as for a pump, the Aqua-Computer Aquastream is reputed to be very quiet (and the frequency of the pump can be changed via jumper settings to "overclock" it to Eheim 1048 specs).

S939, S754 and S940 share the same 2-hole mounting method, AM2 uses a 4-hole method. Go with 939.

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO for high-flow systems, MCRES-1000 if you're going to use an unmodded MCP350 (DDC) and want to fit both res and pump in drive bay... or an Aqua-Computer Aquatube, if you're using a low-flow small-bore system (DON'T run 1/2" tubing with an Aquatube, the ID of a G1/8 fitting goes down to around 6mm around the threads... pilot hole required before tapping a G1/8 thread is 8mm), and you're going to be running anti-corrosion additives in the coolant to prevent galvanic corrosion if you have both copper and aluminum in your loop.

oh, and about the chipset block...

all it requires is water flowing over it. Fins are overkill for a chipset waterblock. the MCW30 is the least restrictive block out there, if you MUST cool the North Bridge.

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 pm

heh, It's cool to see the product bias depending on where one lives, I'm guilty as well :)

hey noobtard, Thermochill's are about 3 times as much in price (compared to similar rads) here in the US; it's really that expensive.

About the Swiftech MCRES-1000 reservoir, I can definately not recommend it. It caused me way too much trouble. I don't like the design either, and being on the front bay, noise proximity to the front of the case is bad. Not fun :)

Agreed on the MCW30, and for 20 bucks, it's a steal.

zds

Post by zds » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:03 am

One random comment still: the EKWaterBlocks is one man company - you order one, he will make one. This means that customizations are a lot cheaper if you want some special stuff, and it also means that you should be able to just say "it has to fit layout of this mobo" and he makes sure it does.

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:51 am

unimatrix0 wrote:heh, It's cool to see the product bias depending on where one lives, I'm guilty as well :)

hey noobtard, Thermochill's are about 3 times as much in price (compared to similar rads) here in the US; it's really that expensive.

About the Swiftech MCRES-1000 reservoir, I can definately not recommend it. It caused me way too much trouble. I don't like the design either, and being on the front bay, noise proximity to the front of the case is bad. Not fun :)

Agreed on the MCW30, and for 20 bucks, it's a steal.
That Thermochill thing is true, but: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=77260
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111112

and the MCRES1000 is actually that bad? I've heard some good things about it though...

and if you see me "pimping" German watercooling stuff, it's because I love everything German for some strange reason... "Projekt Deutschland" well be starting up within a month or two... or after the flurry of exams in those 2~3 months end... or it'll be crawling along during those 2 months, before really pickin up pace after January. hand-made aluminum case, German watercooling! Ja ja!

(and the MCW30 costs like, more than it should in Canada :shock: )

zds

Post by zds » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:47 am

n00btard wrote:and if you see me "pimping" German watercooling stuff, it's because I love everything German for some strange reason...
Yeah, german engineering has a reputation, and often for a good reason..