Recommended Watercooling Kits

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dearthz

Recommended Watercooling Kits

Post by dearthz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:19 pm

Hi guys.

At the moment, i am running my Conroe E6600 @ 3.6GhZ (400x9) with the DRAM ratio at 1:1. I use Thermalright Ultra-120 + Nexus 120 @ 12V for CPU cooling, 2*92mm Nexus at 12 V for intake and 1*120mm Nexus AT 12V for exhaust. at stock speed 2.4GhZ(266x9), my idle temp is around 35 and my load temp is under 50. I use lavalys everest and intel tat tool to record my temperature. After overclock at 3.6GhZ, my idle temp is around 43 and my load temp is at 60 C.

I realise that there is no way i can make my proceesor load temp cooler on air without sacrificing noise. Thermalright ultra-120 is the best cpu heatsink out there and Nexus is also the best silent fan out there. Unless if i get a delta fan and run it at full speed, my load temp can drop to under 55C.

So, I decided to give watercooling a go. Being a complete newb to watercooling, i need some recommendations on watercooling KIts that are good and silent. just like my thermalright 120+nexus. My main priorities are:
-the kit has to be reasonably priced (under 300 US $ or 390 AUD$
-The kits has to be internal
-the the PUMP has to be super silent
-the fans are not my priority as even if they are noisy, i will just replace them with my nexus
-i will be cooling my CPU only
-the radiator has to be a single unit, meaning, it only can fit a single 120mm fan
-performance is my main concern. I am expecting my load temp to drop from 60C to under 50C. or at least to under 55C

Cheers guys. your advices will be greatly appreciated

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:27 pm

Well since you are looking for kits, there's a really nice one from Swiftech, the H20-120, at the best price I've ever seen it at subzeropcs.com, I don't how those guys do it. The only problem with that kit is that the DDC pump is the 18w version, which is more powerful than the DDC 10w but more noisy. What I recommend is that you sell it and get the DDC 10w with the acrylic top. And you would need to ditch the kit's reservoir in favor of any other, I suggest the other Swiftech reservoir.

All in all you'd be spending about $200, and you are getting the Apogee which is among the best in quality, value, price, the Swiftech quiet power single radiator which is also very nice, the DDC 10w with clear top which is regarded as one of the most quiet and powerful pumps. And you'd be looking at an easy kit installation, with clamps, hose, coolant etc. It even comes with two voltage adapters for the fan, 5v and 7v, which is pretty convenient(can be used on any fan).

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:39 pm

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2363/ ... g30c83s135

at least that's what I'd like to upgrade to by the end of this year, if my mom gives back all $850 she took from me :(

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:27 pm

That passive radiator is silence lust right there. Man, I’m thinking of making my own passive rad…

I wonder how that innovatek pump performs both flow and noise?

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:07 pm

unimatrix0 wrote:That passive radiator is silence lust right there. Man, I’m thinking of making my own passive rad…

I wonder how that innovatek pump performs both flow and noise?
that kit is actually a damn good deal if you were to buy the components separately:

rad $200
pump $100
res $25
WB $50
retention mech $28
coolant additive $12
hoses and fittings $50?

which adds up to roughly..... $470
having to pay $30 for a WB retention mechanism is such an effing ripoff :evil:

but at least the kit is at a relatively cheap $300(when compared to purchasing parts separately).

the non-Plus version of the HPPS is supposed to be a variant of the 1046, which is very quiet, and... has a 79gph rating and a 1.2m pressure head.

the Plus version on the other hand has a 2m pressure head, does 132gph, and can have the pressure head and flow rate jacked down to 1046 specs or 158gph/13ft via jumper hidden in the blue buttock of the pump.

except you either have to bolt the damn rad to the side of your case or buy $50 feet to have it free-standing, both of which make the PC less than mobile.

But in the mean time, I can't even set up my current watercooling loop until I either figure out a way to buy stuff online without a credit card, or my mom drops the indefinite ban on spending money on my PC.