Innie or Outie?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lazaredz

Innie or Outie?

Post by Lazaredz » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:24 am

While I would assume there would be some temp advantages to having a radiator on the outside of a case (please correct me if I am wrong), I was wondering if there were any other advantages/disadvantages?

Also, as I understand it having a fan suck air vs blow air through the rad is the prefered meathod for cooling. Is this also true for noise? What about a push/pull combo?

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:40 am

The advantage of having the radiator outside is that you are taking heat further away from the case, which is really nice. So temperatures should be lower. Disadvantage is that being external, there is no noise isolation. If it were internal, some noise would get dampened inside the case. There are workarounds for external mounts, you may use shrouds or air ducts to dampen noise, and that may be as effective or better than case damping. It's not common but it's an option to look into.

Pulling vs Pushing, I don't think there is a rule to this, I've found sometimes pushing is quieter. Sometimes there is no difference. I've found that sometimes fans make more noise on the intake than the exhaust when there is an obstruction (grill, radiator etc) So it varies from fan to fan. I do recommend a shroud, even though most radiators have a "built-in" mini shroud. Adding an additional shroud will make a difference in reduced noise, especially if you use pulling, because the intake will be further away from the radiator "obstruction".

Push/Pull is definitely a no go. It'll be noise hell, and it'll create dead air spots. Use a dual rad, or dual plus single if you need more. But generally a dual should be more than enough.
Last edited by unimatrix0 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazaredz

Post by Lazaredz » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Allright then. I think I'll mount the fan on the inside of the case pushing out into the rad on the outside of the case.

Of course that puts the rad nips through the case metal and means my cut better be pretty dead on. :(

Oh well, here is to adventure!!!!

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Lazaredz wrote:Allright then. I think I'll mount the fan on the inside of the case pushing out into the rad on the outside of the case.

Of course that puts the rad nips through the case metal and means my cut better be pretty dead on. :(

Oh well, here is to adventure!!!!
Glad to hear :) Welcome to the internal-rad-mount fan club :)

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:12 pm

A push setup has a greater need for a shroud than a pull, IMO, but both will have significant dead spots without moving the fans off the radiator. I've read rules that suggest 5x fan depth for push, 2x depth for pull, but ideally try and move the fans to a reasonable distance away from the radiator so the airflow is spread evenly over it.

You'll also find if fans are moved to more to the centre of the case with your shroud, you'll eliminate a fair bit of noise.