McMaster Manifold question

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dean.collins

McMaster Manifold question

Post by dean.collins » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:14 am

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=178

I am thinking of implementing the above manifold in a new water cooling situation.

Instead of using the manifold to 'split up the water feed for various loops' which is what most people use manifolds for I'm going to use it where each of the 6 '3/8" outlets' are going to be connected to their own pump, it will then run through it's own cpu and video card, and then return to a common water supply reservoir in a mirror reverse.

So my question is this;
"Has any connected more than 1 pump to a manifold?"

Based on the ibm information I posted seperatly it appears that the common format is an outlet is sized at 1/6 times the inlet (I'm assuming pressure for the inlet increases to allow for the increased demand).

Am I missing something I shouldn't be?

Cheers,
Dean
Last edited by dean.collins on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:53 am

They're certainly not giving those things away!

You're considering the proper factors, but I don't see how you'll get enough intake with any of the available sizes. Restricting a pump's intake is not good.

Sorry, I have no experience in this area.

dean.collins

Post by dean.collins » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:34 pm

I thought pricing was ok considering it's milled from a solid block.

Basically this is the design I'm going with, as far as my research can tell a 1/6th outlet to inlet size is the correct ratio (pressure makes up the difference).

I'll post here a full diagram for peer review before I purchase all my parts.

Dean

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:06 pm

The Al prices aren't too bad, but the brass and plastic caught my eye. For a 6-pump loop, all are affordable.

I'm still not seeing how you'll plumb this to get a 6:1 ratio. Just by thread name, 1/2" inlets are ~75% bigger than 3/8" outlets, so this is more like 3.5:1. Suppose I should look up the actual IDs before commenting here...

Anyhow, sounds like a big setup. I'm looking forward to your diagram.

Felger Carbon

Re: McMaster Manifold question

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:37 am

McMaster just revamped its on-line catalog, adding lotsa new pages. I think page 178 is now page 188 or thereabouts. Not sure, since you gave no part #. Part #s are page-proof. :D

dean.collins

Post by dean.collins » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:43 am

HammerSandwich wrote: I'm still not seeing how you'll plumb this to get a 6:1 ratio. Just by thread name, 1/2" inlets are ~75% bigger than 3/8" outlets, so this is more like 3.5:1. Suppose I should look up the actual IDs before commenting here...

Anyhow, sounds like a big setup. I'm looking forward to your diagram.

From speaking with a few people the difference in size is made up by pressure (flow).

I've checked a number of different suppliers and they all seem to have the same ratio 1/2" in 6x 1/4" out the only difference is that once you get above 10 outlets the inlet moves up. I dont really have the space for a 10 outlet unit so didn't consider this feasible.

Cheers,
Dean