Any review of water cooling units for silence level?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jinu117

Any review of water cooling units for silence level?

Post by jinu117 » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:33 pm

As the processor generates more heat (I fully expect 80w to be standard in highend CPU for next few years)...air cooling will have its limitation as far as silence is involved. (Even with upcoming 9nm production I don't expect it to run much cooler as they are ramping up on speed and die circuits)
Reasonable choice seems to be watercooling system (with price of fans and good case, heatsink, the marginal difference seem to not to be too much) for some of us in extremity.
Is there any plans for review of water cooling units in near future? (based on its quality of noise/cool factor). Plenty of reveiw for how cool it gets but never enough information on how silent they are. (I would almost think the compressor would be limiting factor on these as you can always make radiator bigger and fan slower).
I would be very interested in finding out some of these new solutions...

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:07 am

Water cooling is more silent than air in 90% of the cases. Eheim pumps (pretty much the de facto standard for decent watercooling) are really silent. So other from that it pretty much depends on which fan(s) you slap on your radiator!

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:04 am

If you get a 1250 or higher, be prepared for some major noise!

Fastman
Friend of SPCR

compressor?

Post by Fastman » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:43 pm

:shock: If you are running a compressor it is definitely the noisiest part of your pc.

Most water cooling setups have a pump and radiator (with or without a fan) but no compressor. Wehn it comes time to watercool, I would find / build a large radiator so that i don't need a fan.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:18 pm

The thing about compressor I can think of is...
I bet you can suspend that and wrap them in insulating material without having to worry about overheating it... (just guessing)
So... if its sound is within reasonable level, we are expecting cooler system and maintain current noise level even with faster CPU, etc in future... (Maybe 9nm production will help it A LOT but typically it only reduces about 20W for similar speed on heat generated based on previous core changes in pentium series). We are talking somewhere in 80-100 W in near future for heat generation... I doubt quiet fan cooling solution will be possible past this point without some never thought about ideas unless water cooling is in mix.

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:00 am

I use a 120mm papst fan @ 7 volts dragging air through a black ice pro radiator. This is very quiet at this voltage - good enough for same room recording. There is minor hum coming from the eheim pump, but I am planning to suspend this on rubber bands soon to decouple it from the case.
As the processor generates more heat (I fully expect 80w to be standard in highend CPU for next few years)...air cooling will have its limitation as far as silence is involved
This was the main reason for getting a water cooled rig, until the heat pipe technology becomes more established.

Bat

Post by Bat » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:16 pm

What model of Eheim pump is that?
A day or two ago I read a post on the forums at www.overclockers.com complaining of the hum from an Eheim 1048 (and the whine from a Barracuda IV).
I've also read of good cooling from the smaller quieter 1046 in a totally fanless system: CPU, northbridge, PSU and hard drives (and perhaps graphics card?) were water-cooled, and there was a huge radiator outside the case.

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:56 pm

I'm using an Eheim 1048. I guess you could cool the whole lot passively if you get a big enough radiator....see zerofanzone for ideas on taking things to the limit!

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:36 am

The 1046 is very very silent and the 1048 is about two times as noisy ..

Bat

Post by Bat » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:07 pm

Right. It looks as though I need to design the system around a 1046 then.

bdunosk

Post by bdunosk » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:16 am

I have a 1250... and it's old, at that! It makes absolutely no noise if you insulate it properly from the case... some type of foam works well. The loudest thing in my case is still fans, but it's much less than a traditional aircooled system considering my overclocked system. :)