Solutions for fully watercooling a 680i M/B ?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

echn111

Solutions for fully watercooling a 680i M/B ?

Post by echn111 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:04 pm

Anyone know of good, quiet solutions to watercool an nvidia 680i reference M/B?

I've upgraded to an evga 680i M/B and the north/southbridge heatpipe gets very hot. And I'm not going to use the tiny fan evga recommends I use (because it makes noise).

I could rip off the heatpipe and watercool the NB, but what to do about the SB then? Maybe I could watercool the NB and use a heavy duty heatpipe for the SB ... if I could find one....

Anyone know of a full watercooling solution for a standard 680i motherboard? ... these have been out for months now, must be something out there...

Note: Normally I'd just ignore the NB/SB, but it's so hot it heats up my case and is causing my harddrives I have in my 5.25 bays to shoot up to 55 celsius, over 15 c more than when using my old motherboard. That's a huge amount of heat it's generating...

dean.collins

another forum

Post by dean.collins » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm

watercooling in this website seems to be as dead as.

i suggest going to www.xtremesystems.com/forums

there is a guy there who has watercooled his new 6801 Abit board including photos and diagrams.

Cheers,
Dean

echn111

Re: another forum

Post by echn111 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:21 am

dean.collins wrote:watercooling in this website seems to be as dead as.

i suggest going to www.xtremesystems.com/forums

there is a guy there who has watercooled his new 6801 Abit board including photos and diagrams.

Cheers,
Dean
Thanks. I'm more into quiet systems rather than "xtreme" systems - specifically I want an ultra-quiet but powerful system (that still looks good)... But that board looks much more useful than this one.

Anyone can make an almost silent (but weak) system. And anyone can make a powerful (but noisy) overclocked system. But where's the challenge? Now try to have both, now that's a challenge.

And to do that, watercooling is the way forward.

So I'm surprised by the lack of activity here. I guess that people who want an ultra-quiet but powerful system are a small minority.

p.s. I've found a decent NB and SB cooler and will have something similar to those guys on xtreme systems. Specifically, going for the "Alphacool NexXxoS NB-SLI 1 Northbridge" on my SB and the "Danger Den DD-680i Chipset Block" for my NB - those two look ideal for a 680i board.

dean.collins

xtreme

Post by dean.collins » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:55 am

nah just because they talk about xtreme doesn't mean anything. Basically they talk a lot in other forums about overclocking etc but the water cooling section is all about quiet.

to keep you in the loop with my project I've just ordered a ton of equipment from Alphacool in germany.

the plan is to have a stack of Alphacool cape cora 'pipes' on the outside of my 48RU rack (I've ordered 18 as a test but I'm estimating about 30-40 by the time I finish).

basically this will then cool in a loop with a 1-6 manifold that splits the feed into 6 different pc's (cpu,gpu,hd,pwr supply) and then back into a 6-1 manifold which feeds into the cape cora tubes.

I've ordered everything I need to hook up 3 of them as a trial proof of concept and will post back once this is set up.

Cheers,
Dean

Lazaredz

Post by Lazaredz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:26 pm

I was able to hack a DD maze 4 chipset block onto my 680i SB.

viewtopic.php?t=36554

Works pretty well, temps are usually 40C in BIOS for the MCP