Totally silent and stylish water cooling system?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gildenman

Totally silent and stylish water cooling system?

Post by gildenman » Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:49 am

Anyone had a chance to verify the claims of these two reviews, of the Wet And Chilly Chips water-cooling system, that it can indeed provide a silent cooling experience?

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/case_c ... ill1.shtml
http://www.water-cooling.com/reviews/WACC/wacc-1.htm

It's looks really slick and is priced very nicely.
Unfortunately this system provides no chipset cooling, but this is "coming soon" according to the manufacturers web-site:

http://www.wetandchillychips.co.uk/

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:21 am

www.overclockedpc.co.uk
there stuff is better, its a size thing :)
that rad is just too small :P

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:59 am

From the looks of those 2 places, it doesn't sound too positive for me. 120mm fan running at anything over 5v will be TOO much for typical acceptance level in this forum :) Look at the spec on their fan... 125CFM 42.5db! (reference Panaflo at 12v is what db again?! and we do compain about this fan at 12v). And the person who reviewed it saying completely silenece probably have hearing problem after long sessions with Vantec tornado anyway.
I do like their water channel idea split into 6 but....comparison with MCX462 with 3000 RPM fan leaves something to be desired. Quick comparison we are talking about only 3-4c difference for similar noise level).
The hoses are too thin, radiator looks to be culprit as well. (If not the block itself)

My current setup has Zalman 7000 Cu w p4 2.53 (oc'd 2.98), and Zalman Fanless chipset & ZM-80HPA + 80mm panaflo blowing on it and rather quiet when not oc'd. (PSU & HDD doesn't come into equation at all after seasonic modded and HDD novibed). Right now the case fan is running at 8v or so.
I am getting Danger Den setup with CPU/GPU/Chipset block as well as black ICE extreme/w papst 120mm today (waiting for FedEx) and this is supposed to be one of the best setup as far as H2O is invovled. (1/2 ID tubing all around). Plan to mount the 120mm outside the case to reduce noise and heat and make the case fans run at whatever voltage it will start at. (additional resistor in between Zalman fan control/fans) The fans in case are Vantech stealth BTW.
I will let you guys know how it turns out to be.
Frankly, that high CFM of fan should cool it much better if your going H2O. At that level of cooling you might want to look into Koolance EXOS instead.
The only neat idea I really saw for TOTALLY quiet system (other than pump noise) was somewhere where a person used copper pipes for passive radiator that pretty much is quite huge. (even PSU water cooled on his rig).
Otherwise, you are restricted by the fan noise in your radiator regardless.

gildenman

Post by gildenman » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:24 am

To be fair. *Both* reviews commented on the fan and reduced the voltage to achieve "silence."
viperslair wrote:The fan kicked in and ….. Oh no. The fan is loud, louder than my Air coolers. Were not talking Delta screamers or anything but according to the YS-Tech specs, it's at 40.5dB. That is by no stretch of the imagination quiet, which when it comes to watercooling, I was always lead to believe was one of the big plusses. That said, the specs also stated the fan was rated to run at 7-16 Volts. Whipping out my trusty needle nose pliers I swapped the ground lead over to the +5 volts, and dropped the fans running voltage from 12 volts to 7 volts (for more information on this see here). This made the fan run at just over half speed which is completely silent but would it be enough to keep the system cool?
The manufacturer also states on their website:
wetandchillychips wrote:Due to customer feedback system's now come supplied with low noise 30db 76cfm Evercool fans.We can still supply Y.S.Tech 120cfm 43db fans on request
Why they lost the big silent advantage of water cooling in the first place is beyond me, but they seem to have corrected that mistake now. The use of a silent fan increased the temps by ~2C.

With respect, it seems you didn't read the reviews, but just jumped to conclusions from the specs? They addressed the tubing size and reckoned it did work.

I think the point is that this is a quality water-cooling kit at a great pruice. No it's not the best water-cooling system in the world, but it's a way for the "average" user to make their CPU cooling system silent. Or is that way off?

Mirar

Post by Mirar » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:54 pm

I'm not impressed. Any watercooling that needs a separate fan isn't impressive, and will never get silent.

With that tiny itsy bitsy radiator, it certainly will not be silent.

I use two huge "dual-fan" radiators (without the fans), around 4800 square inches = 3m² cooling, without a special fan (they sit over the PSU airflow outlet). I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. I still get temperatures close to 60°C on the CPU.

I don't know anything about the pump, but with that fan it would have been impossible to tell if it were quiet enough. My Eheim 1048 is the loudest part of my system now, and I'm fairly sure it's more quiet then that pump, but that's just a guess.

/Mirar
http://www.mirar.org/casev2

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:17 pm

1) Let's try not to get personal here on issues shall we? I don't take personal comments well. It was my opinion and expressly said so. You can agree or disagree before trying to GUESS what my thoughts are.

2) As I said, only difference between 4c between 7V waterpumping vs mcx 462? I would assume the fan at 7v sounds about 10-12v panaflo running or Zalman CNPS-7000 cu running at about 8-10v (yes this sucker is that quiet). Now, I know similar noise level Zalman would run within 1-3c degree of waterpumping. What was the point again?

3) Search innovatek review in HardOcp. You will notice the difference between tubing size vs cooling performance (innovatek included thinner tubing commenting it doesn't matter when reviewer found otherwise with larger tubing). Maybe the block is SO restrictive it really doesn't matter in this setup?

4) If anyone think water cooling is for brand new person in computer scene or beginner, think again. The risk factor is so darned high (of course can be controlled quite a bit but still) it isn't for beginners at all. I bet most of us water coolers are all right with one component of system going down due to accident (could be that $300 GPU, $500 CPU, $200 MB, $150-400 Memory, etc). To me, this kit is just like any other kits out there. Same logisitcs, steps, and components, do apply here.

5) My bets are on exos rather than this particular set up as it does decent and is cool looking as well as transportable (while maintaining the "beginner easiness"). Cost total of $220 US or so now a day with CPU block. (not to mention their blocks are cheap over all).

Even my e-heim 1048 isn't as silent as it could be from my experience. Suspending it makes it sound a little quieter. Actually bleeding air out of system made pump 10x quieter! It is sitting right now on 1" thick piece of sponge. The radiator(ice extreme) is sitting outside the case and doing fine with Papst 120mm which generates about as much as my silent modded PSU. (Vantech stealth turning at 1200 RPM suspended... the papst doesn't have RPM monitor so I am left with guess)
And this power hungry (consuming 80W+ 2.53->3.04 @ 1.625v) is happily at 42c under max load even with 9700 Pro & Chipset in line. Now, the whole setup costed me $300 shipped (including GPU&Chipset block) so value wise & performance as well as premade solution, this is much better route. (you can get the system without GPU&Chipset at about $200)

Interesting products but reviewers are a bit biased (I see most other cooling site mentiong entry water cooling system is all right when it beats the best heatsinks by at least few degrees with monster fans slk800+tornado seems to be fav right now). How would this setup fair compared to that sink and fan? not as good obviously.