Can you cool 3-way SLI with Zalman Reserator 2?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BabisSougias

Can you cool 3-way SLI with Zalman Reserator 2?

Post by BabisSougias » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:52 am

^^ as topic tilte says, can you cool 3-way SLI with Zalman Reserator 2?

Note that the tubing will only run through the 3 VGAs, and not the processor or anything else.

alfhenrik

Re: Can you cool 3-way SLI with Zalman Reserator 2?

Post by alfhenrik » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:18 am

BabisSougias wrote:^^ as topic tilte says, can you cool 3-way SLI with Zalman Reserator 2?

Note that the tubing will only run through the 3 VGAs, and not the processor or anything else.
Well, I don't know personally but it might not perform as well as a custom watercooling setup...but then again not much will.

Although after reading this article LINK it seems that the Reserator 1 could handle a CPU and SLI setup so perhaps the Reserator 2 could handle 3 GPUs...
With no less than five sources dumping heat into the cooling loop, you have to wonder whether a passive cooling solution can keep up? Apparently so. The GPUs were running at temperatures equivalent to that of air cooling, although ambient was a little higher than usual. CPU temperatures were similar to that of air cooling as well. The reservoir, where the heat is dispersed, was quite warm, the large mass of metal absorbing the heat from the water and slowly dissipating it. As such, the Reserator 1 Plus is not going to appeal to overclockers, but it's not meant to.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:17 pm

It depends on what kind of card you put in 3 way SLI (more precise: what is the heat output of the 3 cards).

I think a reserator 2 is rated to dissipate about 200-250 Watt. At increasing temperatures of the hardware to be cooled, this rate increases.

An 8800 GTX has a heat output of about 130 Watt. At full load, mine gets to 65 °C maximum (only the VGA is watercooled in my setup).
I don't know what temps 3 of them will reach, I think it might stay at around 80 °C which is the normal temp with stock cooling (not based on any proof though).
Sometimes you need to be the first to try something :/

XIONG

Post by XIONG » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:25 pm

This is a normal temperature and cooling the stock, I think I would agree 。

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:41 am

any reserator can do a lot more than its rated level.

And... if you look back at original res1 articles and reviews, it was cooling 100 watts more than it is rated NOW by zalman.

Zalman is trying to UNDERRATE their systems so you buy the latest and greatest.

dual core 939 amd 2.2ghz and a 3870 cranking for 5 hours straight gaming doesnt make the tower that warm at all. My room temperature is kinda hot compared to most peoples. I refuse to give numbers as there are so many factors about cooling that numbers are meaningless. it cools better than air.

3 way sli? well. You would have to be a retard to want to use that. Reserator 2 probably could cope with that. eh? I dont have one just res1. there is no gpu and cpu that can overload 1 res1 that I have tested. However, I never use the blue stuff that comes with the kits they now sell. I use 96% pure, steam distilled poland spring water and 4% about water wetter. It's the best and never needs to be changed but 1x every 2 years (sometimes I top it off for evaporation).

the more pure water you have the better a system works. by a long shot.

regular anti-freeze sux. WW ftw.