Please suggest HDD watercooler

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Day

Please suggest HDD watercooler

Post by Day » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:10 pm

I want to watercool my HDD and then enclose it in a sound proofing material so i'm looking for a relatively small cooler so that ther will be room for the soundproofing material.
Any suggestions?

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Wed May 28, 2008 3:58 am

I have to ask - why do you want to watercool your drive? If it's for looks/kudos then fair enough, but HDDs don't need to be watercooled in regard to running temperature. They need very little airflow to stay in a safe operating range - the kind of airflow you get from a watercooling radiator anyway.

shoarthing

Re: Please suggest HDD watercooler

Post by shoarthing » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:23 am

Day wrote:I want to watercool my HDD and then enclose it in a sound proofing material so i'm looking for a relatively small cooler so that ther will be room for the soundproofing material.
Any suggestions?
. . I have & use both the Alphacool 'Silentstar' device [2x copper waterblocks, screwed to each side of one or two HDDs & connected together via tube, all assembled in a foam-lined stainless-steel box]; & a pair of similar dual-HDD copper waterblocks from EDVExtreme.

The 'Silentstar' is also available in a single-HDD model.

Both work very well indeed for cooling, & the Alphacool device [which is now also & in turn enclosed in a custom-made sheet lead box] makes a pair of Raptors genuinely quiet, even by silentpcreview standards.