Best/Quietest Water Cooling for AMD Socket A? (1.67ghz)

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

schifo

Best/Quietest Water Cooling for AMD Socket A? (1.67ghz)

Post by schifo » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:10 am

I just wanted to ask anyone if they would be kind enough to give me their opinion on what type of cooling would the most quietest for my PC.

I have a A7V333-X Asus Motherboard, and a Athlon XP 2000 1.67ghz processor. I have a Matrox G400 video card which doesn't have any fans, etc, so no noise from there.

I was interested in water cooling, but can't really decide on what's the quietest one / best one for my PC.

Can anyone please help me decide?

Thanks

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:17 pm

Depends on your budget.
Maze3 and Swiftechs are top dog a far as availability and performance goes. (Whitewater stuff is not in production at this point which beats this two blocks by 2-3c given decent pump).
However Danger den just came out with new design (its still under non-disclosure for reviewrs but I had sneak peak at it at one of reviewers place). It looks very massive and will do better than swiftech or current maze 3. So... wait a week or so.
Chipset cooler is worthless IMHO now. (puny 11 watts or so doesn't need that much attention)
GPU would be nice depending on which model you have. Zalman HS with fan blowing on top is quite decent as is. Unless you are going to over volt stock GPU, you can hit the limit of your card with this setup.
Pump need to be considered carefully. Unless you have heavy demands, 1048 will do fine. 1250 seems to favorite for avid overclockers but I am not sure if added noise and size is worth it...
Cheaper pump available that works well are Hydor

Radiator - by all means, if you have some tools to cut/solder (JB weld works fine)/make shroud for fan, go to Autozone or something like that and buy heater core at $17. (now 2 brass barb fitting from homedepot will run you about $4, and there is JB weld for another $4 or so, fan shroud meterial for $2 or so). Total $27 and your time. Not too many things can beat this (well... none that I know of actually :P)
D-tek procore is my next recommended on list due to premium they charge for doing all the above for you.
Next is BIX. I think they are overrated... (I already have one so might as well live with it). One advantage of this is it will fit inside most cases unlike heater core or d-tek procore).
If you want to go cheap, you can get it done as cheap as $120 (pump, heater core, tubing, CPU block)... or could go extreme like I did and spend $400+
Cheapest set I can recommend would be Maze3 or swiftech block ($42-45), Heatercore ($27), Hydor Pump ($35 or so), tubing ($10), 120mm fan ($15 or so) and you are all set.