Petra's Waterkits

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flushentitypacket

Petra's Waterkits

Post by flushentitypacket » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:02 pm

I'm a complete watercooling noob so I decided to just go with a complete water cooling kit instead of go through painstaking research and putting each thing together. I want it simple: especially installation. I want complete reassurance that everything will fit together.

Anyway, so I've been looking at Petra's Tech Shop and want this:
http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecogpuba.html

I'm going to mod my Rocketfish case to fit watercooling. Can you guys tell me how a) well this will perform and b) how quiet it will be (low speed yate loons)?

Thanks

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat May 03, 2008 4:55 pm

This is a little late, but the kit pump does not have a variable speed control. I don't know what your setup is, but my swiftech mvp-655 has a variable speed control that works just fine at settings 1, 2 or 3. It is noiser at setting 5, however I'm sure there are other ways to control speed, and I believe that pump is more reliable than the other laing/swiftec models. Also, you may not find setting 5 to be bothersome.

Tubing is relatively cheap, so I would have gone with tygon, epsecially since you're using 7/16" ID over 1/2" fittings. Tygon would probably be better, but I don't know that for a fact.

As for hose clamps, I would use these:
viewtopic.php?t=29921&highlight=clamp
I tried some of the worm drive clamps, and They're just too easy to over tighten.

Yate loons (sleeve bearings) are ok as long as they are mounted vertically.

Except for a few details, it looks like a good kit. I might have gone with a silent video card so you don't need the gpu cooler, but I don't know your system or intended use. - FG

Oh, you'll also have to find a way to minimize pump vibrations using some kind of suspension or vibration absorbing pad.