Cooling GPU-cards!

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

M4rvin

Cooling GPU-cards!

Post by M4rvin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:29 am

Best practises? You probably will change your graphic card more often than your motherboard. And usually waterblocks for new graphic cards aren´t available when the card is released (ie 4870). What is your strategy when it comes to watercooling your GPU?

One way to go about is to get a universal GPU block and use that on the new graphic card as well as on the old (would be very nice and cheap). But how do you cool the memory? I'm going for a very minimal airflow inside my case and don't want to rely on RAMsinks. Are there any universal waterblocks for cooling the graphic card's RAM?

Post by 1398342003 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:59 pm

Not that I've seen. The placement and size of the ram compared to the gpu, and even the mounting holes change too much between ATI and NV cards, and they change so much between series (9***, 8***, ect) that making a 'Universal Graphics Card Block' is sadly impossible.

I'd get a new block made specifically for the card myself. When you don't want the card anymore, chances are good that you'll want a new computer as well.