Best Quiet Fan for WC

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thatguyX

Best Quiet Fan for WC

Post by thatguyX » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:53 pm

The rig in question is in the sig.

I'll be using RX120 + RX240 XSPC rads. According to skinee labs review, I should be able to dissipate 300W of heat (enough for my gtx and i7 920) in a 1 fan-push configuration at around 800rpms. I'm looking for 2 fans to push heat out of a top mounted 240 rad, and 2 fans to push/pull through a front mounted 120 rad. Ideally I'd like to keep these as quiet as possible but still with some overhead just incase... which puts me in the range of fans that can run from 600rpm to 1200rpms.

I currently have 2 Noctua's, but they're just ok in terms of noise-to-air ratio. Are there any other recommendations? I'm trying to decide between the Yate Loons Low or Med speed fans, maybe the Scythe fans (dunno which model to look at). They need to be 120x25mm. I will probably splice together some fan power/ground wires so that the fans can be controlled via 2 mobo headers.

johan851

Post by johan851 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:24 am

The current recommended quiet fans are the Scythe Slipstream and the Yate Loon D12SL-12. The Scythes run about $8 at Jab-Tech, and the Yate Loons $3.60.

The Scythes might be just a little better because they have less of a dead spot. Are you using ducts on either of your rads? That would help a bit with the dead spot problem and with reducing noise - you may be able to turn the fans up a little bit higher when they're further away from the radiator.

Either one should work fine. I use three Yate Loons right up against my radiator, and they're nice and quiet. If you don't want to spend as much $$, and especially if you have ducts, just go with the Yate Loons.

thatguyX

Post by thatguyX » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 am

I ended up trying to Noise Blocker S2. They were pricey but seem to pretty quiet, not silent. They're rated at 19dbA with 51CFM @ 12V ~1250rpm, I think they're doing a pretty good job.

Now I've got a new question, right now I have my XSPC RX240 Rad mounted on the top-outside of the case with the fans inside the case pushing air up and through the rad. Would there be less perceivable noise if I mounted the fans on top of the rad and used some kind of shrouds underneath?