Lowering Pump Speeds?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Oaven

Lowering Pump Speeds?

Post by Oaven » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:41 am

Hey guys,

So I've got myself two Swiftech MCP355 pumps and am running them both separately in two different loops, side by side in my main rig. Temperatures are fantastic (5870 sub-40celcius, i7 not too shabby either) and I'd like to lower the pump speeds to cut down on some excess noise.

They're not particularly quiet, and the goal of watercooling the system was twofold... to keep it quiet, and to keep it cool. I understand that lowering pump speeds may slightly impact cooling capaibilities, but I'm desperate to quiten the rig.

The pumps have two... what look to be fan speed controllers, attached. I assume I just hook this up to my bigNG like I would with normal fans and adjust the RPM lower to lower the pump speeds?

I'd hate to damage them in any way! Thanks guys. :)

-David

Post by 1398342003 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Here is a Swiftech pdf which states that the pump can be started at 9 volts and run at 8v. That should allow you to reduce the speed, but the 3 pin connector is for speed monitoring. The four pin molex connector is for power.

The MCP355 is supposed to be pretty loud, the MCP350 is a quieter model. I don't think that a 355 will ever really be quiet, but reducing the speed will help.