EK-Bay Spin Res! Where should Pump BE?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shunail

EK-Bay Spin Res! Where should Pump BE?

Post by shunail » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 pm

I've Laing DDC DDCT-01s pump, EK-RES250 reservoir and Thermochill Pa 120.2 Dual 120MM and Thermochill Pa 120.3 Dual 120MM connecting:

Res => Pump =>CPU => 8800GTX => 8800GTX => Rad 120.3 => Rad 120.2 =>Res.

Now that I'm upgrading my Board and CPU, I thought EK-Bay Spin Reservoir would look cool in front bay. I've 2 of these Laing DDC DDCT pumps (petra tech's). What should I do to utilize this EK bay res and pump (not necessarily both, but one if is enough like it is now). Since EK-Bay Spin has three outlet, I was thinking atleast using to outlets straight like

PUMP
^
||

Reservoir Out1 => CPU => Rad 120.2 =>Res

Reservoir Out2 => GPU => GPU = Rad 120.3 =>Res

or should keep it same as before and keep 2 other outlets blocked?

ascl

Post by ascl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:42 am

So you want to split the loop but with a shared res? In effect its still just one giant loop, as the water temperature will equalize anyway, so, at best, you may gain some performance from pushing more restriction into one loop and having a faster flowing CPU loop (ala the Typhoon III res), however, this will be countered by having a more complex tubing run.

In short, I believe you should either go 2 full loops (ie completely separate), or just one large loop. I kind of like the one large loop idea, as I tend to either use lots of CPU, or a little CPU and lots of GPU (most games are still single threaded, so can only push your CPU so much).

Of course, the best way... is to test both and see which works best for you :) (and I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are suggesting).

shunail

Post by shunail » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 am

well, what I was thinking is

Res => PUMP => CPU => Small Rad and back to Res.

Res => PUMP => GPU1 => GPU2 = Big Rad and back to Res

where back to Res with Y-Plug since Res has only 1 inlet. So both Radiators outlets to 1 inlet of Reservoir.

Since CPU to GPU 1, water may become hot and from GPU1 to GPU2, it become even more hot so the GPU2 (poor thing) is taking the most heat :)

What do you think?

Single (big) loop is simple and easy and I think 1 pump should be sufficient also...

ascl

Post by ascl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:55 pm

The variation in temperature around a loop is typically small (1c ish), so GPU 2 really shouldn't end up with much higher temps than GPU 1. So given the water temperature is roughly even, splitting the loop like this probably wont make a huge difference.

It may cause a difference in flow rates down the loops (faster in one, slower in the other), which may cause a benefit.

If you are really keen try it out and take careful measurements, but I don't think you'll see a big difference.

EDIT: Given you would have 2 of everything except res, why not just run 2 loops? Just use a T-line for the 2nd loop maybe?

shunail

Post by shunail » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:58 am

So here's what I've decided

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir for Two Laing DDC with 2 Pumps conencted =RES+PUMPs
RES+pump 1 => CPU => MofSet => NB/SB => Rad 120.3 => Res
RES+Pump2 => GPU1 => GPU2 => Rad 120.2 => Res

2 seperate loops

ascl

Post by ascl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:30 pm

I saw your thread on XS (at least I think it was yours).

Yep 2 loops sounds like the best solution. Let us know how you go, and what improvements you see :)

shunail

Post by shunail » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:07 pm

you and Spawn-Inc are in favor of dual loop. Help me here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=250686

ascl

Post by ascl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:13 pm

Actually I prefer a single loop... but I only have one, not very hot, GPU.

The advantage you get from two loops is you can choose what goes into each loop... so you can run your GPU loop a little warmer, and have your CPU loop a little cooler.