Definitive Answer Needed: 2 pumps with a Resorator?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gcwebbyuk

Definitive Answer Needed: 2 pumps with a Resorator?

Post by gcwebbyuk » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:30 am

I have found several threads about running two resorators in a loop, but nothing definitive about whether you can just add another pump at some point in the loop to give it a bit more oomph.

If this is possible, does it need to be a similar pump?

Would an EK-DCP 2.2 be suitable? http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/pumps ... -pump.html

I am currently running the resorator like this:
Resorator -> CPU (EK Supreme HF Nickel) -> Radiator (XSPC RX240 + 4 Scythe S-Flex Push/Pull @ 400rpm) -> GPU (EK GTX460) -> Resorator.

I was planning to add the second pump before or after the radiator.

Is it as simple as just plugging it into the loop, or do I need to dismantle the actual tower itself? :?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:47 am

Simply adding a pump in series should be okay, but I agree that it shouldn't be TOO mismatched (e.g. Reserator + 24V Iwaki). Series pumps boost the pressure ability without increasing open-loop flow, so restrictive systems will see more flow with this approach.

You might want to measure your flow before bothering. IMO, if you're seeing 2L/minute or better, the gains will be small.

velis

Re: Definitive Answer Needed: 2 pumps with a Resorator?

Post by velis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:35 pm

I originally added a Laing DDC-1T

Right now I just run the whole system with the Laing + a EK-DCP 2.2. I removed the pump in the reserator because it didn't feel like it was pushing much water.

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:45 pm

I ended up buying an EK pump/reservoir and having an internal loop - it is pretty quiet - I have since used some AcoustiPack to embed the pump and it is hardly audible at 80% - set by my motherboard fan controller.

I am now using my resorator on my EK chipset block.

philje123

Post by philje123 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:31 am

Hi there.

I have two reserators in series and my system is like this:

Res. 1 v2 with eheim 600 pump -> Zalman block on Q6600 -> EK block on 780i SLi Northbridge -> EK block on 8800 GTX -> EK block on southbridge -> Res. 1 (the original blue one) then back to the res v2.

Been running like that for about 2 years now with no problems and runs nice and cool even after several hours gaming (the blue tower gets pretty warm though!)

Phil