first time WC need help.

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

coweater58

first time WC need help.

Post by coweater58 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:01 pm

I received a WC kit from a friend that had no use for it. It has a DD cpu block(not sure what m#), 1 120mm rad, a laning D5 pump, and a DD Fillport Reservoir. Now i have a few Q's, do i still need a reservoir for it? will that be enough to cool a i7 940? right now it has a TRUE 1366 from the first ver. they made. The water block didn't come with the back plate and it's missing the back plate bolts. So i was looking at ordering this back plate and these bolts.
The block has a univeral top mounting plate and it was used on a skt 775. So i don't think it has the holes for skt 1366. Does DD have a replaceble plate? i didn't see one on their site.
Would this loop work out or is there a better way to set it up?

Thanks

Here are some pictures of the block.

Re: first time WC need help.

Post by 1398342003 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:33 pm

A reservoir isn't necessary, but you will need a way to fill the system. Without it you won't be able to easily fill the system. Your loop otherwise seems fine.

I think the DD block may have incompatible holes. Is the one bolt you have in the 775 hole? You should look up the 1366 mounting holes and measure your block to be sure. The block itself is an Athlon 64 block that someone has modified for greater compatibility. If the holes are 1366 compatible than the backplate and bolts should be good.

A pic of the rad would help in in identifying who made it, but most rads perform similarly.

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:45 pm

I think res -> pump -> cpu block -> radiator -> res is the normal way. I don't think you would get much performance benefit if you stick with the single 120mm radiator. Your heatsink already has comparable cooling surface.

You should contact Danger Den directly about comptability with 1366. Here are the accessories they stock for the TDX: http://www.dangerden.com/store/tdx-accessories/

fumino

Post by fumino » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:14 pm

you can use the fillport on a t-line and run without a reservoir, but either option should still be placed before the pump.

what case are you running in? maybe adding a new radiator could be considered...

for watercooling help, i'd suggest wandering around hardforum or xtremesystems and just reading up on the subject, checking out what other people have done, etc.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 pm

fumino wrote:you can use the fillport on a t-line and run without a reservoir, but either option should still be placed before the pump.
Seconded. The liquid needs room to expand as it absorbs heat and you want bubbles to exit the loop before they enter the pump.