Adding Northbridge Block to my Water-Cooling Rig

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DJCoryMinto

Adding Northbridge Block to my Water-Cooling Rig

Post by DJCoryMinto » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:36 am

After a few mishaps with the old Asus motherboard, I had to replace almost all of the components. I just ordered an Intel i7 2600k chip with an EVGA P67 SLI 130-SB-E675-KR motherboard (socket 1155, P67 chipset), and a hefty GPU & 16GB of DDR3 ram.. The new setup will be blazing fast out of the box, altho I may overclock it mildly to attain even faster speeds. I'm not a gamer, but a music composer, and the demands of my processor will be high. I have a Zalman Reserator One Plus watercooler, and it keeps my temps down nicely. It runs to my CPU and GPU, and I'm considering getting the block to run to my northbridge.

I know I've written about this before on my old setup, but the hardware and level of technology was 5yrs behind. With this new board, the demands of the NB might be different. Again, I don't plan on cooking the machine with OCing, just some moderate OCing if anything at all. I'd be willing to consider a fanless heatsink for the NB but I couldn't find one compatible anyway. It might make more sense to go with the watercooling block -- but how badly will this affect the watercooling performance of the CPU & GPU?
Last edited by DJCoryMinto on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

boost

Re: Adding Northbridge Block to my Water-Cooling Rig

Post by boost » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:26 am

The TDP of the P67 chip set is 6.1 watts, I doubt you need a different cooler at all.
If still want to use one, the Thermalright HR-05 is the best. The mounting hasn't changed from older chip sets, so it should be compatible.
The chip doesn't effect OC at all. Almost everything is integrated into the CPU.

DJCoryMinto

Re: Adding Northbridge Block to my Water-Cooling Rig

Post by DJCoryMinto » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 am

Wow. I happen to own an HR-05 IFX, so that works out! On the Thermalright website, it doesn't list the P67 as a compatible chipset. Maybe it's too new?

What you say about everything being integrated into the CPU -- I've heard that before. The older chipsets would be more heavily used (resources) so would heat up more quickly. So this one won't get too much action.