Which orientation for CPU cooler? And is my spec OK?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

minktoast

Which orientation for CPU cooler? And is my spec OK?

Post by minktoast » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:49 am

My first post - I've been lurking for a while. Thank you all for such great information and reviews.

OK - I plan to build a system with:

Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (I like the look and will mod to increase front intake airflow)
AMD 64 3000 Venice
Seasonic S12 430W
2*Spinponts suspended vertically in lower cage
Low power passive PCI graphics (not interested in 3D for now - but maybe a passive cooled 6600GT later...)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64
Nexus 80mm front case fan
Stock 120mm rear case fan
(All fans undervolted with fanmates for quiet operation)

As you can see this is not an overly powerful system so I'm hoping the 80mm intake will not be too restrictive. What do you think?

My main dilemma is which way to point the Freezer64. Depending on which motherboard I get I can either point it towards the PSU fan (most motherboards) or twoards the rear 120mm case fan (DFI motherboards).

There's a good picture of the internals of a cavlier 3 here...

I guess that pointing the Freezer 64 towards the rear will keep the PSU cooler but I wonder if it will create too much turbulence / restriction around the PSU intake fan? Maybe I would be better pointing the Freezer64 up at the PSU intake fan - thus letting the rear fan take heat flowing up from the hard disks? Will the orientation make any appreciable difference?

Or would I be better with an upward blowing CPU cooler like Zalman 7000?

I guess what I'm really after is a mental picture of the airflow in these 3 different scenarios and which is best.

I thought about making a PSU duct from the 5.25 bays as described in these forums - but I really want the S12 PSU and I guess a duct won't work with a downward pointing intake fan.

Your thoughts much appreciated :-)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:40 am

The AC Freezer 64 is a bit different from most fanned tower coolers. The fan has no frame and the cooler has no shroud. If I feel for the airflow, with my hands around my AC Freezer 64, then it turns out that most air comes out of the sides of the cooler.

With a system as low powered as yours, I don't think you will get the S12 430 to speed up anyway, no matter what the orientation of the CPU cooler. What is against the DFI boards, is that the CPU socket is fairly close to the video card. So if you want to upgrade to a 6600GT with an over-the-card cooler, then that probably will not fit.

I would try your setup without using a front 80mm fan at first. An undervolted fan at that location is most probably going to block part of the airflow in stead of helping it. If the intake through the rather restricted front intake is not enough, then you could try removing one or two of the PCI slot covers in the back of the case. But watch the HD temps, if you do this. Alternatively, you can make some extra holes below the suspended disks.

minktoast

Post by minktoast » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:10 am

That's just what I needed to know - thank you Tibors.

So I'll probably go with the Abit AN8 Ultra which has passively cooled Northbridge and has lots of space to the Graphics Card slot.

Freezer 64 fan will be pointing up at the PSU - but not a problem based on what you say about air coming out the sides of it.

Thanks again.