Where to put dampening?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

.weir

Where to put dampening?

Post by .weir » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:06 pm

I bought some Wurth sound dampening material for my new SLK3000B, I put it on the panel door, and behind the 5.5" and 3.5" drive covers. The left side panel of my case has a large sheet of egg carton foam on it, and my hard drive is suspended in a 5.5" bay. I have a bit of the Wurth left and was wondering if there's anywhere else I'd benefit from placing it. The case isn't vibrating to the touch right now though, maybe I should put the rest under the subwoofer of my Logitech Z-2300's (it's on a wood floor btw).

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Stuff like that works better when you cover every surface. The PCI slot covers. I have had good results covering them with. I don’t know if your Zalman V700 Alcu is silent, but if it makes noise at all, that is a great place to cover if you can.
You might experiment with foam on the surfaces across from the *top* of your had drive. It may help with cavity noise.