Quiet and cold running?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PhillyB

Quiet and cold running?

Post by PhillyB » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Is this possible? I am not talking about the heat of the processor, but the heat thats being dumped out of the case. I need something thats quiet, not a heat pump, and reliable. Speed is nice, but totally not necessary. Also I am going to leave it on all the time, which is why low wattage is required.

So far I think I can do a mobile processor, and a very effiencient low wattage PSU. What do you think?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:14 pm

If performance is not required an undervolted Sempron rig with onboard GFX would be very quiet, cheap and low power consumption. What kind of mobile CPU did you have in mind?

PhillyB

Post by PhillyB » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Well cheap would be good. This is not having to be a very fast system.

Current system specs

3.0 P4 (yep, very hot!)
2Gb DDR400
500W antec (hot again)
P4 mobo with a 6800gt oc - hot, replaced hsf with artic cooler

I am thinking about a celeron M combo, its going for 150 bucks on newegg. Or getting the celeron M thats on newegg for 90 bucks, and getting the 915 mobo. I dont want it to be a slouch. Right now, I am using it to surf the net, yerhoo, and downloads. As long as its close to this, and I dont have to wait hours for it to do stuff I am fine.

I will be moving the 6800 to a more performance oriented system, with a much faster processor. The 6800 wont fit with my hard drives in my Antec 1050 case, the fan rubs the sata cables. This system may also get sold, or I will use it for a friend that wants to go to a lan party.

So I am thinking, DDR mobo with a mobile low wattage processor, onboard sound, video. I also need a silent high efficiency PSU that doesnt dump heat.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:30 pm

I am thinking about a celeron M combo, its going for 150 bucks on newegg. Or getting the celeron M thats on newegg for 90 bucks, and getting the 915 mobo. I dont want it to be a slouch. Right now, I am using it to surf the net, yerhoo, and downloads. As long as its close to this, and I dont have to wait hours for it to do stuff I am fine.
I don't like Celeron M's because they don't have Speedstep; that may sound picky, but for most of the stuff you mention the CPU will be close to idle, and this is where Speedstep is so helpful.

A S754 Sempron setup will definitely costs you less than 150 bucks, for an equivalent or maybe even better result (heat and noise-wise).

For PSU maybe Silverstone ST30NF if you want fanless, Seasonic S12-330 if fanned is OK, or even a PicoPSU if you can find an appropriate AC/DC brick.

PhillyB

Post by PhillyB » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Well Ive never been much of a AMD fan, but I will check that out. A fan in the PSU is ok, not using anything special now, just the modular 500 antec (it is horrible, one of my other pcs came with it, and it HUMMED badly) so almost anything higher quality would work.