Need advice on DDR2 ram

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

natethegreat

Need advice on DDR2 ram

Post by natethegreat » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:57 am

I'm building a system around this board: ABIT NF-M2 nView I could really use some advice on a 1GB stick of ram for this sysrem. The budget is $150 for 1 stick, less is certainly ok though :)

Thanks in advance,

-Nathan

edit:I did some looking around on the Egg and found these 2 models:

Patriot Extreme Performance 1GB

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:18 am

are you gonna OC your system?

I've bought a pair of 1GB Apacer PC6400 CL5 with gold colored heatspreaders this weekend in a local shop: €135 each (that's about 112 USD).
Certainly cheaper DIMMs can be found, but not from an A-brand like Apacer (at least not in local shops around here)
I don't know how they perform when OCing, but I have no interest in that...

natethegreat

Post by natethegreat » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:26 am

This will be a sff system placed in my bedroom so no overclocking...

I am not familiar with Apacer but I will look into it, thanks!

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:13 pm

I would go with the Patriot. In fact, I have a 2 x 512 kit of that same memory on my wishlist in newegg. First, the Patriot is slightly lower latency (only really matters for performance obsessed, however), and is cheaper. And I trust them more than Corsair. I like to buy memory from them or Crucial. I don't care for brands like Corsair/OCZ that sell lots of products that are just sourced from other manufacturers; I'd rather buy from the source, not a middleman.

Of course, the last point is just my opinion. But the first two are legitimate.

natethegreat

Post by natethegreat » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:41 pm

Thanks for the info, I have always like Patriot memory for their combination of price/performance but I always ended up getting something else. Good to hear that you have good luck with them.

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:46 pm

Freeco wrote:are you gonna OC your system?

I've bought a pair of 1GB Apacer PC6400 CL5 with gold colored heatspreaders this weekend in a local shop: €135 each (that's about 112 USD).
Certainly cheaper DIMMs can be found, but not from an A-brand like Apacer (at least not in local shops around here)
I don't know how they perform when OCing, but I have no interest in that...
I think you converted the wrong way. €135 is about $173 USD.

natethegreat

Post by natethegreat » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:28 pm

Well I found the Patriot module for abot $125 shipped so I pulled the trigger on it. I will be matching it up with a 65w AM2 X2 sometime before christmas. I will come back and post my experience with this ram when I get the system up :)