VX 450 isn't quiet!!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jgre6747

VX 450 isn't quiet!!

Post by jgre6747 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey guys,

I recently built a new HTPC and used the corsair VX - 450 PSU. I was under the impression that it would be whisper quiet. It isn't. It it clearly audible over everything in the system (at idles and even under load) from over a meter away. The sound is like a low drone (not loud in old p.4 HSF sense, but very audible)

Is there something wrong with it? Could it be from vibration with the case?

Just for a power drain reference the specs are -
CPU = Q6600
Mobo = GA EP35 DS3
Ram = 4gb corsair select
GPU = HD 3450 (low power passive card)
HDD = 2 WD 320gb (soon to add samsung 750 gb - will this add alot more power strain and hence ramp up the PSU?)
CPU cooler = arctic cooler freezer 7 pro
Case = LC17

cheers

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:29 pm

If you mechanically stop the fan in the PSU does the sound go away? Try stopping it with something electrically inert, like an unused zip-tie so you don't fry it (or yourself).

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:34 pm

I've actually noticed the same, very very annoying.. might have to do a fanswap...

nick705

Post by nick705 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:39 pm

My HX-520 is the same - it would be silly to draw a conclusion from a sample size of one, but I've reason to believe mine's not atypical.

The Corsairs are a bit overrated IMHO, at least from a quietness POV.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:35 pm

I was also dissapointed by the noise level of the adda fan, it made a quiet, but nasty buzzing sound. I`ve heard much better ball bearing fans. Mine was in a seasonic psu. The fan controller is good so a fan swap solved the problem for me. I installed a skythe s-flex, much quieter than the adda at the same speed.

alfhenrik

Post by alfhenrik » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Hmm...the specs of your machine doesn't seem to add up to too big of a power drain on the PSU, my VX450 is currently running a P4EE, 8600GTS, 2 hard drives and it is whisper quiet...I can't hear it from half a meter away...maybe you got a bad sample...I am very happy with mine.

Just to make sure, are you certain it is the PSU making the noise? Have you stopped / unplugged every other source of noise?

Otherwise, maybe you could RMA it and hope that you get one that isn't making the low drone noise you are currently hearing.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:02 pm

I have an HX520 and I can confirm that there is a low droning sound with the stock Adda fan. It's kinda like hearing a muffled V8 pickup truck far far off in the distance. I think the annoying part of it is that it has a slight pulsing characteristic which makes it easily perceptable and annoying. It's still a very quiet psu though. With that in mind, I did a fan swap with a Scythe Kama and now the fan actually doesn't spin when idle. When gaming it spins up but is still quieter than the stock Adda fan at idle.

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:33 pm

i keep telling ppl those vx450 are not that silent, sound meters be damned.

it's the perceived sound - higher alternating frequency that the the fan's motor produces - that reaches your ears and makes you notice it, despite the low sound pressure.

swap the fan to a slipstream, that should fix the sucka.

if whole system is quiet enough, even after that you'll hear the electrical noise. some creative dumping might be needed as well.

depends on your sample though.

lucas82

Post by lucas82 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm

I think this fan would be a better choice for Corsair than the ADDA:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... ps/fan.jpg
It's funny that I don't see many complements about this PSU since it's very quiet.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:51 am

Hello,

The Adda fan used in the VX450 is very similar/identical to just about every other SeaSonic made PSU, many Fortron Source PSU's -- some do make a bit more noise than others, but in general, they are pretty quiet.

If you replace it, I would use a 1200RPM Scythe Slipstream.

jgre6747

Post by jgre6747 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:41 pm

its good to know its not just me being anal and that others can hear it too.

Could it be that because the LC17 mounts the PSU backwards, I am getting more fan noise than most?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 am

If this is how it's mounted (imagine link 1 here), it should help keep the PSU cool if anything - unless of course it introduces unnecessary restriction to intake, which would make the fan work harder and change its tune.

This mesh on the vent (imagine link 2 here) doesn't look very promising by shape or density at all. :shock:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/vimage.php?img=S ... edium).JPG
http://www.bjorn3d.com/Material/ReviewI ... edium).JPG

Haha, Björn broke bbcode! :lol:

jgre6747

Post by jgre6747 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:49 am

yeah thats how its mounted! So i thought the same that it should keep it cool and quiet!

Oh well...i'll keep tweaking and playing around trying to find out where the noise is coming from!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Cheers

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:11 am

jgre6747 wrote:So i thought the same that it should keep it cool and quiet!
Do note that the mesh looks extremely restrictive, which could make the motor work harder, which in turn would make the sound louder and rougher.