What Cpu cooler will fit well in HTPC Silverstone LC17?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shayx

What Cpu cooler will fit well in HTPC Silverstone LC17?

Post by Shayx » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:29 am

Hello to all, I'm new and i have a Q.

I'm building an HTPC that is basically a strong desktop components put together in a HTPC case.
The components are:
QX9650 Processor
ASUS P5Q MoBo.
OCZ DDR2 4GB 1066Mhz

SO, I originally chose the Scythe Ninja2 as a CPU cooler because i heard really good things about him.
But as i realized the Ninja2 probably won't fit in the case, I'm searching for a new cooler. my heart is with the Ninja Mini but i don't know if he can handle the job (heard good things about him too).

So, I'm asking for you guidance in finding the right cooler for my HTPC build. also, the Power Supply I've chose for this build is the Enermax Modu82+ 525W.
Do you think he will handle the components?

Appreciate your help. Thanks a bunch :lol:

nici

Post by nici » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:55 am

I got the Noctua NH-C12P for my HTPC build. Also on a P5Q mobo. Just waiting for my case to arrive so i can build it. Should fit nicely inside the LC17. The Noctua was reviewed by SPCR recently, performance is very good. Also the 525W Modu should be just fine. What graphics card will you use?

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 am

This is a bit unrelated, but still helpful.

Why are you using a Core 2 Quad Extreme?? The only difference in the Extreme version is an unlocked multiplier. You may think that this will help you overclock more. This is not true! First, most P35/P45 motherboards have excellent overclocking abilities, which means that high FSBs are easy. So an unlocked multiplier is not needed. Second, you're using a HTPC case. Cooling will be an issue. I seriously doubt you will ever need to raise the multiplier. You will run into thermal limits before you need to raise the multiplier. And that's if you need to raise the multiplier at all.

Overall, buying an Intel Extreme branded CPU doesn't make sense. I recommend you get the Q9450 instead. The Q9450 still has 12mb of L2 cache but is clocked at 2.66GHz instead of 3GHz. But overclocking to 3GHz is a walk in the park. Just change the FSB from 333MHz to 375MHz. Then you have a processor that is identical to the QX9650 for 30% of the price!

Hope this helps. :)