6 years since upgrade. Now a virgin.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

colm

6 years since upgrade. Now a virgin.

Post by colm » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 am

ok. now I am lost.

the facts to forward:
  • *I have matx case, power is old version of 250, does p4.
    * TDW TDP or whatver the theory number for heat is... not to exceed the heat of a p4 prescott at 2.8ghz..
    that is quite hot for a matx case.
    * I want graphics onboard. heat reasons... again matx suffocation.
that is about it, I am not asking for much.
I did find this, and think I like it:
intel core i3/m55 mobo combo

and being a virgin again, had to look up what a cpu is here

73w with graphic on the chip. volts are very dynamical.. so am keeping the old power source, unless that needs a special something too.

I will go kingston ram, but advice for non-ecc pros would be great.

what is the consensus?

HFat

Re: 6 years since upgrade. Now a virgin.

Post by HFat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:23 am

I don't know if the seller is trustworthy and if the price is good in your country (it would be very good in mine) but this combo can idle quite low with the right PSU... probably lower than anything that's not based on an Atom or laptop gear. These are among the best chips out there, it looks like. Ref.: http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showth ... p?t=685231
There's at least one cheaper CPU which might be better in case you want to see if you can get a lower price by buying the CPU and mobo separately.
The Germans say the RAM matters for power consumption but I doubt it. What matters is to test it well since you won't have ECC... and to test it again from time to time because DIMMs can apparently go bad early.

If you're happy with your P4, you might be happy with an Atom. They're cheaper, smaller and trivially easy to run fanless.

colm

Post by colm » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:15 am

HFat wrote:I don't know if the seller is trustworthy and if the price is good in your country (it would be very good in mine) but this combo can idle quite low with the right PSU... probably lower than anything that's not based on an Atom or laptop gear. These are among the best chips out there, it looks like. Ref.: http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showth ... p?t=685231
There's at least one cheaper CPU which might be better in case you want to see if you can get a lower price by buying the CPU and mobo separately.
The Germans say the RAM matters for power consumption but I doubt it. What matters is to test it well since you won't have ECC... and to test it again from time to time because DIMMs can apparently go bad early.

If you're happy with your P4, you might be happy with an Atom. They're cheaper, smaller and trivially easy to run fanless.

hey thank you.

I could go sff case and atom...

but even you noticed, price is good. the cpu is only 6 dollars cheaper than intels recommend, most likey they open it and drop value to put project together.. the motherboard is msi, and that could be many prices. they have been like that a long time. I do run ECC now, and not looking back. I love what it does. My locale has been nasty for as long as I can remember. Weather extremes, and not many fixes for telecom until need be. The ECC found something...

I may regret no ecc, but the cost of xeon, newer version..it is hindering my will for it.

atom is something to ponder, thanks for reply.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:36 am

Atom isn't worth pondering unless you're looking to replace your current P4 with something that performs similar to it. The Atom's not an upgrade, it's a sidegrade at best, if not a downgrade. The only benefit to Atom is lower power consumption and heat output.

Any reason you're not considering AMD? As I understand, their processors are more ECC-friendly.

HFat

Post by HFat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Prices are cheaper for the Atom. At least the local prices are (I've seen some people quoting prices for more powerful gear which are not available here).

Depending on what P4 we're talking about, the CPU could be an upgrade or a downgrade. The system as a whole is more likely to be an upgrade. The silence and the dimensions of the box would be welcome anyway as compared to a P4 system.