Is this a good build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimdoe

Re: Is this a good build?

Post by jimdoe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Abula, I must ask a question.

If I put a GTX 580, will I need more than 500W? Will the Kingwin 500W fanless PSU be sufficient enough for the GTX 580?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6817121083

Or should I go with the X660 such as you.

I suppose the GTX 580 you have is louder than the PSU? Either way, if I go for the GTX 580 then it probably makes no difference if I add a fan, or not.

I ask this because when I used the PSU calculator, it tells me I won't generate more than 431 Watts.

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

PMcG

Post by PMcG » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:40 am

The whole point of the silverstone is positive pressure with that 180mm if you remotely think you are going to remove it don't get that case.

With the gtx 580 go with a x-760 and it will still not turn on when idle, once again to quote a forum members signature (not sure which one but I see it all the time and agree) fanless is pointless.

jimdoe

Post by jimdoe » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:22 am

Well I don't think fanless is pointless in all cases.

However, fanless is pointless if your primary goal is to build for power. I've realized yesterday, that it is impossible to have both fanless, and the most power, all in one.

I've taken a step back, and realized that I'm building this for gaming, and my first need is power (GTX 580 + i7). Thus, I know that I will have to compromise some of the silence in order to achieve a powerful machine.

Fanless PSU, and fanless CPU is pointless for me. I thought I could get away with it by going fanless on most parts, but it just doesn't work.

Abula, and PMcG, thank you for enlightening me that fanless is pointless for my setup.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:39 pm

jimdoe wrote:Fanless PSU, and fanless CPU is pointless for me. I thought I could get away with it by going fanless on most parts, but it just doesn't work.
I don't know if its possible or not, im just saying its risky with all high end components, when people aim at fanless setup, they try to lower end hardware, atoms/i3 and GT430 etc. But going into a high end gpu like GTX580 or even your GTX560ti 448core... you already have two fan in your setup, and probably they will be the loudest in your pc (given that you undervolt the frontal fan of the tj08-e), so in essence its just undervolting and lowering the rpms until you are happy with the noise and temps, this is up to you test and see what works better for you.

I like a lot Scythe PWM fans because they can be lowered to 200rpm (slipstreams) 300rpm(kama flex), a lot of the other PWM fans have 500-1500 or 600-1800 etc, only seen Scythe fans going super low, and given the user to still have a very high rpm 1300rpm (slipstreams) 1600rpm (kama flex), so this would be my choice for CPU cooler and exhaust fan on the TJ08-E. The Galaxy GTX580 is very big card, fits fine on the TJ08-E (you can see my pictures on my sig), but the HR02 + Backplate of the Galaxy GTX580 come really close... if you have the hdd cage in you get a couple of mm so it should be fine, but if you dont they will be almost touching, in my case over time the wieght of the gtx580 touched the hr02 so i decided to incert the hdd cage again to have something to mantain the apart, not a big deal either, just worth mentioning since you are chosing almost the same components as me.

Now as i said in previous post, intel motherboards play really nice with Scythe PWM fans, specially since it can mantain them at their lowest rpms (in my case 300rpm on DH61DL check mini sig) and on my HTPC build i did test and was also getting the same rpms with the Kamaflex and the slipstream included on the Mugen 3. So a good second choice (that wont be as wide) of cooler is Mugen 3 with slipstream and if you feel like testing, add a second fan to the back of the case and see how temps and noise change, see if its worth it or not, the fan is cheap, Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P 120mm Case Fan (NCIX also has it). You can also go with your original idea of the HR02 and fanless on the back and on the cpu cooler, but whatever you do keep the 180mm frontal fan, just undervolt it between 400-600rpm (depending on how is your ambient noise), and test your temps on how different rpm affect your idle and load temps, and analize what compromises you are willing to give in terms of noise/performance, all of this is what i love, to test and personalize your build to your own needs/desires.

On the PSU.... i think you have a strong feeling for the platinum kingwin, so you could try, it should be able to drive the GTX580... but its going to be close and the PSU is going to be stress most of the time while gaming, weather or not is good only time will tell if the PSU has good enough passive cooling to sustain a high end gaming build like you are doing. I still would advise into going with Seasonic hybrid PSU, X560 / X650 / X660 / X760 are good choices, they all should be very quiet even under load, and on idle they should be passive (depending on your idle power draw).

Remember having fans is not a bad idea, specially a gaming rig, just you need to find the ideal cooling balance between noise/temperature.

Good luck,