Silencing my PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dfmp

Silencing my PC

Post by dfmp » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:06 pm

I inherited this system in a round about way, and there is an annoying whine coming from the HSF/NB fan that I cannot stand. I placed an old 120mm 110cfm 45dbA fan in the case just to mask the noise. Current specs:
XP2500+ w/ stock retail HSF
NF7-S 2.0
SLK3700AMB -- everything stock except fan
512mb HyperX pc3200
9600xt
160gb samsung / 80gb WD (I may get rid of the WD if it is too loud, but I can't even hear it over the fans)

What I plan on buying:
Zalman CNPS-7000AlCu
Zalman NB47J (if it fits) / NB32J
Papst 4412FGL or Panaflo L1A 120mm

The system is fairly quiet now, except for an annoying high pitched whine that is coming from the HSF or the NB fan. Does anyone else have an NF7-S with the CNPS7000 and a new NB heatsink, I'm not sure if either of those will fit. The two 120mm fans seem to be popular choices, so I will probably order one of each (I need two anyways) to see which one I prefer.

Do these components look ok? Where are good places to order from?

Also, is there something that allows me to adjust the speed of the fans (a rheobus?)? The only time I am worried about noise is at night, I don't really care how loud it is during the day.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:57 pm

Hi dfmp

Welcome to SPCR!

The zalman parts look like a good starting point, although I can't comment on the compatability of the northbridge heatsink (although quite a few people here have the Abit board with a passive zalman NB). Also you might want to do something about the radeon's fan - if you can get the artic cooling vga silencer v3 (must be V3 for the 9600 XT), it will help.

There are a load of resellers listed at:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewforum.php?f=5
If you're in the UK I'd get your panaflos from Dorothy Bradbury, I just did an order this week and got good service:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.br ... anaflo.htm

Hope this helps. Happy silencing!

dfmp

Post by dfmp » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:18 pm

Thanks. :)

The 9600xt will be replaced with a 9800pro soon, and I will probably delay buying anything for the graphics card until then.

I'm in the US, but thank for the link. I seem to have missed that entire forum :oops:

koody

Post by koody » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:41 pm