The computer I'm going to build - PSU, fan questions

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lorkp

The computer I'm going to build - PSU, fan questions

Post by lorkp » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:37 pm

Here's the computer I'm thinking about building: http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=841418 I was going to get an Antec SLK3700-BQE, but am now thinking other wise after reading about the Ever Case 4252. If I buy the Ever Case, I'll have about $55 left in my budget for a PSU and rear 120mm fan.

1) Is a 4252 with a $55 PSU and fan combination better than a SLK3700BQE in terms of noise, cooling and PSU quality? If so, what should PSU and fan should I get? If you answer "no" to the first question, proceed to #2.

2) Is it worth changing the configuration of my system to make room for a better PSU and fan, or should I just go for the SLK3700-BQE? If you answered yes, please proceed to question #3.

3) What changes would you make to my system, to set enough money aside for an adequate PSU and fan?

Thanks,

Loren

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:22 pm

I just recently put together a system with the 3700-BQE. The stock PS is quiet under low load, but spins its fan up a little too willingly under higher load, and it takes a long time to return back to its "quiet" behavior after the system load has diminished. When the fan is running fast, it is decidedly NOT QUIET. I would describe it as a "low roar".

I replaced the stock PS with a Seasonic Super Tornado RevA3 300W and am much happier. It is very quiet to begin with and doesn't totally change its personality under heavy load. It's fan reports around 700RPM while the system is Idle or under low load (web browsing, Quicken sessions, etc.) and it always stays under 1000RPM under heavy load (MPEG encoding, Prime95, etc.)

As such, I am happy with the BQE's case, but the PS leaves a bit to be desired. The answer to question #1 is, therefore, yes, IMHO.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:24 pm

Personally, I've never looked at an Evercase, so I cannot really answer your question. Like Pauli said, however, the PSU that comes with the BQE isn't really that great. It's quiet, but not great. The case fan that comes with it, however, IS. I would recommend you get teh BQE, do a fan swap for the PSU (there are posts for just this specific PSU, actually), and u'll be perfectly fine.

Also, I think you should be better off with a Seagate Barracuda (not 7200.7) 80 GB. Those things are DEAD quiet. I had one, but it died due to a broken pin (and my laziness to pay $$ to get the pin fixed).

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:40 pm

I like the 4252 and think you could do well with one. But if you like the BQE, Directron will sell you one WITHOUT the stock PSU for $45.

lorkp

Post by lorkp » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:13 pm

But what PSU and 120mm case fan do I get with a $55 budget?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:20 pm

Plenty of info on that here. Look at the Recommended articles linked on the front page and search the forums.

NeilBlanchard

Fortron Source 300watt & Enermax

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:11 pm

Hello:
lorkp wrote:But what PSU and 120mm case fan do I get with a $55 budget?
I have built systems with both the Evercase and the BQE. The BQE's stock PS is not bad, but it is a bit noisier than either the Fortron Source 300watt PS for $34:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 979&depa=1

...or the CleverPower 300watt PS for $39:

http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=pscpsps300w

The Fortron is quiet, and it will certainly help cool the case, but it lacks PFC. The CleverPower is a little quieter, and it's maximum noise is still very low -- though it will not contribute much to cooling the case, and I *think* it does have PFC, and it does have the convenience of having 4 AC outlets on the back. Both fit the Evercase very well, since the Evercase has a big PS opening.

I would suggest the Enermax 120mm Adjustable fan for $17.05:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 012&depa=1

Run it on 7 volts or 5 volts and use the adjuster to get it down to a minimum speed -- it starts and runs reliably on ~4.2-4.5volts and it is very smooth and moves a very decent amount of air.

So, that's $51.05 - $56.05! :P

If you wanted to experiment a little and save $9, you could try this Speeze 120mm for $8.69 and undervolt it...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 032&depa=1