Your Help Is Required Please...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hshah

Your Help Is Required Please...

Post by hshah » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:03 pm

My Current Setup:

Dual AMD Athlon 2200+ MP
Lian Li PC60
MSI K7D Master

This is cooled by the following:

2 x Thermalright SLK 800
2 x 80mm Papst Fans (Lowest Setting on Vantec Fan Controller)
4 x 80mm Case Fans (Top, Back, Front also Lowest Setting on Vantec Fan Controller)

(When all fitted the 2 Papst Fans are touching, so I cannot get larger fans for the CPUs)

Plan:

Now I am going to University on the 25th of September and this PC will be in the same room as me, so I need it to be a lot quieter, because at the moment its a very loud whine.

What can I do to make it quieter. I have around a £100 budget, so I want to stick with only air cooling.

Any suggestions at all would be helpful!

Here are my current system temps on idle/standard use:

CPU 1 - 59
CPU 2 - 65
Ambient - 43

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:21 pm

Welcome to SPCR

Alas your question is too general and we don't have a lot of information you do have. So there will not be an easy answer to your problem.

The first thing you have to do is, determine what the loudest component in your system is. You can do this by opening your case and stopping the different fans one at a time. (Don't forget the fan in your PSU.)

When you know what the loudest component is, you should read the articles on the main page and stickies in the forums related to that component. They will give you enough options to try.

If you have silenced the loudest component, then move on to the next loudest one.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:38 pm

1. Pics would be a nice beginning
2. case & CPU temps a bit on the high side (pointing to inefficient case airflow)
3. graphics card? PSU? HDDs? hdd mounting system?
4. Is that an aluminium case? aluminium humms
5. Case fan brand/type? Low Medium High flow fans?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:29 am

This is a challenge and a half. I'm using Panaflo M1BXs (i.e. medium speed) fans that are set to about 7v. They're actually not at all silent, but are otherwise inaudible in a University setting.

My case fan is a Panaflo 120mm L1A hard wired to 5v. I might play with the Globe fan that I have around.

I agree with Tibors though. You need to identify your loudest source first before you attempt to quiet it. It may turn out that it's your power supply or your hard drives that are noisy.