Sonata vs BQE - airflow vs silence?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

may_hem1

Sonata vs BQE - airflow vs silence?

Post by may_hem1 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:53 am

Ok, I know some people have asked this before and most have been persuaded to go with the BQE because of better airflow but how much better is it? Here's how I see it:

Advantages of Sonata:
- Better aesthetics
- Quieter PSU & case

Advantages of BQE:
- Better airflow
- Lower temperatures

It seems a difficult choice because I could add more fans to the Sonata to allow better airflow and hence lower temps which would make it more on a par with the BQE. The extra fans in the Sonata would increase the sound, but then I cold get the sound damping foam to reduce this. I know that you can use one of the alternate damping kits with the BQE but it sounds messy to have to cut up pieces and have to work it out myself.

So which should I go for?

Help! :?

spartikus

Post by spartikus » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:22 am

From a Sonata owner, I wish I'd gone the BQE. You'll save less money in the long run, i.e. not having to replace fans, fixing Sonata PSU etc...and the BQE comes highly recommended from the big wigs here for overall performance...and I think it's cheaper(?)

:oops:

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:37 am

Advantages of Sonata:
- Better aesthetics
- Quieter PSU & case
I dont think the case is quieter and i believe the PSU is the same type just the sonata has a little more juice. either one is not that quiet IMO.

also i dont think the sonata looks better then the BQE, the BQE has more a classic look, while the sonata has those stupid antec holes on the panel and these 2 stupid looking little blue lights on the front. If i ever got into lights, i would not want two little specs.

basicy, get what you are happy with, right now i have a old white case that i am gonna cut up and paint, i will most likly like this case more then my BQE but i modded it.

You can order the BQE order at www.directron.com without a PSU and they will take 32 dollars out

~RaNDoM

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:35 am

I love my Sonata. I can't compare it to the BQE at all since I've never owned one, but I think with a little work you can make the airflow difference almost negligible. All I've done is open up the bezel at the bottom and cut the horizontal slats behind it. No metal work, all plastic. It is REALLY hard plastic though so use a quality tool to cut it like tin snips or a Dremel. My rear fan is set at 5v and that's the only fan I have in my system with exception of my Zalman 7000 @ 5v on the CPU. My case temps hover at 30C most of the time which is perfectly acceptable for me considering I only have 1 fan. The PSU isn't the greatest, and mine seemed to fluctuate a lot on the rails. Before I found SPCR I replaced it with a Thermaltake 420w Purepower because the rail fluctuation bothered me and like an idiot I fell into the "omg my l33t system needs 600 watts of power!" myth. Biggest mistake ever lol. You can find a good PSU for not too much, I'm currently looking into the Coolmax Taurus line.

Overall I'm very pleased with the case, however I'd probably buy a BQE if given the chance. My reason for buying the Sonata over the BQE was the audio ports on the front without having to use up a drive slot, however since then I've gone to USB headsets.

My only complaint with the case is the blue lights in the front. I removed mine, however if you're any electronics savvy at all you could probably wire a pot or resistor to them to make them acceptably bright. In stock form they were blinding my poor cat lol.

may_hem1

Post by may_hem1 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:17 pm

Thanks!

BQE it is then.

May