Fong Kai FK-330 and Front Fans

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

devpotato

Fong Kai FK-330 and Front Fans

Post by devpotato » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:59 pm

I'm putting together a new system with the following components:

Fong-Kai FK330
Nexus 120mm & 92mm fans
2 Samsung 80GB SATA drives
Dual Opteron 244's
Enermax NoiseTaker 470W PSU

Based on SPCR's review of the Fong Kai, I ordered a 92mm fan to mount on the front of the case. I haven't been able to figure out the trick for mounting it.

There's a sheetmetal "funnel" riveted to the front wall where the fan looks like it should mount. There are what looks like retaining lips on the top and bottom of the funnel. My guess is that these lips are supposed to somehow hold on to the fan.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Until then, I'll run with the single 120mm exhaust fan (plus PSU fans) and see how things go.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:15 pm

There is apparently a plastic fan mount "thing" that you connect the fan to, and then slide that into the slots on the funnel. If your case is missing it, give the guys at Fong-Kai USA a shout, they should be able to fix things for you. They're a generally helpful bunch.

But in reality...you probably don't need or want it. With a 120 in the back there is all kinds of air flowing in the bezel. I'd add the 92 only if you needed to spot-cool your HDD's. (ie, if their temps were over 50° or so)

Oh, and WELCOME TO SPCR!!!! :lol: :lol:

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:38 pm

If you decide to put the fan in the case, then you are probably better off without the official mount "thing". Just try wedging some foam between the fan and the funnel. That way vibrations from the fan won't get transferred to the case.

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:44 pm

You know, I'd strongly recommend staying away from Fong Kai. They simply do not honor their promises. To your question, here is the reply I received from fkusa regarding the very adapter you are talking about:

"I have since discovered that the OEM for this chassis concluded the120mm rear fan was more than adequate to cool the chassis. Therefore the front fan mount never went into production. My apologies for the previous misinformation."

The previous misinformation was that he would personally send me the missing bracket shortly after Chinese New Year, which was early in the year. There was not a offer extended to provide drawings to make this simple part.

Are you considering modifying your drive brackets to lower the noise of the drives? Better not break one, because replacement brackets are NOT available.

I'm not laying blame on any particular party within Fong Kai; it could be the US office, could be the overseas home office -- who knows?

My take on the whole thing is that there is enough grief in making a quiet computer. Who needs an additional dollop from the case, which is just, ehh, pretty good but overpriced anyway?

DrJ

devpotato

Post by devpotato » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:32 pm

Guess I should be careful with this thing, since I've already received the case.

*sigh*

This is turning into an interesting PC build. . .