Shuttle SD11G5 as Linux web server?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

animate123

Shuttle SD11G5 as Linux web server?

Post by animate123 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:05 pm

Like many other folks here, I'm lusting after the SD11G5. But, for a
slightly different reason.

I maintain several websites on real hosting services, but would like
to have a certification site local. It will be in my home, so I want
something that is lower-power and quiet. My requirements are not as
stringent as some folks here -- I can stick the thing under a desk. But, I
do like the idea of using the Pentium M for lower power consumption as
well because it will run 24x7.

I do not need vast power -- I would run Apache, Tomcat, SSH, perhaps
a mail server. Not much else is necessary. And, this is for certification, so
I won't have a large transaction volume.

So, the question is, how well would Linux (Fedora preferred, but other
distribs would probably be okay) work on this little Shuttle? Specifically,
would I have trouble with SATA or DVI or the embedded graphics?
Is fan control completely in the BIOS or is there an OS component? Is
there anything in Windows XP that takes advantage of the Pentium M that
would not be available in Linux?

If the answer is, "you'll have to wait for the community to work with it
a bit," that's a reasonable answer.

Thanks.

kesv

Re: Shuttle SD11G5 as Linux web server?

Post by kesv » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:37 pm

animate123 wrote: Specifically, would I have trouble with SATA or DVI or the embedded graphics?
Generally Intel chipsets are very solid with Linux. SATA should be supported with the latest kernels just fine. Since this is going to be a server, graphics is not going to be a problem. You only need a console on a server and that should work without any trouble no matter what. If you really want X, the Intel embedded graphics chips do work in 2D mode, but you won't get 3D acceleration.
animate123 wrote: Is there anything in Windows XP that takes advantage of the Pentium M that would not be available in Linux?
Not really. The only thing that you might have trouble with is the Speedstep feature. Linux has the kernel modules and a userspace tool that does the scaling, but if it will work on this particular machine or not, I can't say. But even if you can't get this to work, the low powerdraw of Pentium M means you shouldn't have heat problems anyway.

animate123

Post by animate123 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was going to setup X, but you are correct, it isn't strictly necessary for my purposes. In fact, probably more trouble than it is worth.

So, my plan is to wait until the SD11G5 is more generally available. That should be a week or four yet.

Then, go with something conservative:

Pentium M 1.7
512 Meg RAM
Older ATA HD from my closet (just to avoid any issues with SATA)
VGA for initial setup -- leave in console mode without X

For software, a nice minimal set:

Fedora Core 4, Apache, Java, Tomcat, MySQL, SSH, Subversion

Lots of good upgrade paths from there. Even if DVI or SATA don't work, it will still work perfectly for my purpose here.

Thanks.

nguyenkj

Post by nguyenkj » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:12 pm

That's an expensive "basic" webserver, my friend :)

Are you sure you would be okay with let's say, a sub-1GHz Pentium-III? I'm running a forum/database off of a dual 500MHz Xeon and it's silent, low wattage, and pretty fast. You wouldn't need huge horsepower unless you're running a lot of server-side databases or applications, I'd think. I've salvaged pretty old 200MHz Pentiums and they work really well as servers serving static material.

kesv

Post by kesv » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:34 am

animate123 wrote: For software, a nice minimal set:

Fedora Core 4, Apache, Java, Tomcat, MySQL, SSH, Subversion

Lots of good upgrade paths from there. Even if DVI or SATA don't work, it will still work perfectly for my purpose here.
DVI is purely a hardware issue. Linux won't care if the grafix card has a dvi or vga output, only that it can interface with the GPU chip. Since you are going with FC 4, it should be able to setup X for you if you want it. No configuration should be neccesary.

Alternatively consider Ubuntu. It also has a very simple install and works well for a server even if it's better known as a desktop distro.

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:17 am

I'm with nguyenkj on this...

500MHz or so is all you really need for this. OK, if you do want X and so on, then a bit more is good, but you don't need a powerful server for local development. I have a PIII-700 in my sever that does all of that and software RAID, and it is much more than happy CPU power wise.

If you have some old hardware knocking around put it to good use rather than wasting money on a new system that is total overkill for its intended use.

animate123

Post by animate123 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:44 am

Good points. But, I don't want old hardware. It's worth a couple hundred extra to avoid the fussing.

Now, if you have thoughts on new, inexpensive hardware that is also small, quiet, and low-wattage, I'm game. For example, the Mac Mini is a pretty cool option. Mac Mini with 512 Meg is running around $600. Would probably do the job out-of-the-box.

VIA boxes are also an option, but I've had problems in the past with Linux compatibility. The support just isn't there. Performance is miserable as well even for a web server. I want Java, Apache, Tomcat, and MySQL. I'm not serving static pages ;-)

So, I don't believe I'm completely off base throwing $700-800 at this.

Thanks for all the replies!

ehouse

Post by ehouse » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:16 pm

Please let us know how it works once you get set up!

I too am looking for a nearly-silent machine -- for use as a Linux workstation for software development, photo editing, CD ripping and .ogg playback, etc. all running 24/7 and driving a 20" LCD off the on-board graphics hardware. The SD11G5 looks like an excellent choice, but I can't find any reports of folks running Linux on it -- successfully or not.