Cooling? Fanless PSU and other recommendations...?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

timebandit

Cooling? Fanless PSU and other recommendations...?

Post by timebandit » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:44 am

Hi

I'm new to this forum so please be kind =)
The reason i came here is that i'm trying to make my PC silent as i can due to sleeping problems etc... Very sensetive to sounds and lights :(
So i have a few questions i would like to be answered the best you can ;)
I've just bought a new case with 2 120mm fans instrad of 4 80mm :) , my old just had to many vibrations parts :(

Question #1
Does it make any cooling improvments to cut out the grill or what's the name is? Picture is here: http://dzn.mine.nu/~timebandit/IMGP1099.JPG

Question #2
I'm thinking of getting a fanless PSU but aren't convinced yet that's a good solution due to heat problem?
Can add that i have Zalman Reserator water cooling of my CPU and GPU.
Cpu/mb temp is at 28-36C
HDD temp is at 29-38C
About how much will the temperatures raise if i install a fanless PSU?

Any other recommendations/suggestions would be nice =)

Thanks in advance...

streety

Post by streety » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:26 am

Dial-up friendly version of above pic

Q1. I doubt it, thats a fairly open vent as it is.

Q2. I have no experience with fanless PSU's so can't really comment here. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some good advice.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:04 am

Q1 -- steel grill is fine but lose the plastic fan holder behind it.

Q2 -- temps may go up a bit w/a fanless, but as you're WC'ing, there's less heat to remove from the case via airflow. Of the various fanless units I've looked at, the Coolmax Taurus or the Silverstone are probably the most impressive so far. I have not looked at them all, and the Silverstone has only been briefly examined in preparation for a full review. There is a Collmax Taurus review on the main site.

timebandit

Post by timebandit » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:30 am

Why is that plastic fan holder so bad? Does it reduce any cooling performance?
I already tried to remove it due that it looks ugly ;) but there aren't any holes to put any screwes or something with the fan :( I need too drill some of my own in that case (if there are any space for that), hehe...

Ok, thanks i will look into those... The only fanless psu's i seen here in my town is ProSilence 420W, Fanless and LC-ST30NF-GM Silverstone... Seems that the Silverstone is ok....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:04 am

There are so many ways to soft-mount a fan that have been discussed here that I won't go into any details except to say let your imagination at the search function be your guides.

The PSU -- the Silverstone uses a more modern (efficient!) circuit topology that seem better adapted for fanless use. The ProSilence is an older circuit design with poorer efficiency; it's around 70% at best while the Silverstone is more like 80%.

timebandit

Post by timebandit » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:49 am

To "soft mount" the fan i don't think that would be too hard... i think...

I noticed that if there are something close to the 120mm fan (intake) like if i put the hand aprox 1 cm infront of the fan there is a increased sound ... that sound would be nice to reduce but seems hard withoutdestroying the "ok" look of the chassi. I don't want it to look as a junk yard, hehe

That steel grill the the front of the chassi that is on the picture... Is there any noticeable performance if i cut that out? Why is there a grill there anyways? Wouldn't it be better with just a hole as the cover is over that anyways so it isn't seen....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:10 am

Grill -- EMI protection. Mostly so RF doesn't get out to interfere with other wireless things nearby. Cell and wireless phones are the only things that have occasionally been affected for me; the solution is to move farther from the PC.

That type of grill represents something like 20% obstruction. Cutting it out would increase airflow a touch and maybe drop turbulence noise a bit, but only if you're running the fan pretty fast. Personally, I would not cut them; the gain is too small. Wait till you turn into a total silence freak and consider this move an emergency pill if you really need a fix after all else has been done. :lol:

frosty

Post by frosty » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:26 am

I cut out all my grills to get max air in and out, mine looks pretty bad from behind and I scratched the top once trying it upside down, hehe.

Those fanless psu look nice but cost a fortune, I am happy with the modded one I got from Mike. Hope you don't get addicted to tinkering as bad as some of us here. :)

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:08 am

I was thinking going with two Reserators.

One for the CPU and PSU, the Other for the Video Card and Hard Drive.

Won't be cheap, but it'll be as quiet as it gets.

Would look pretty funny too.

Two blue cooling "towers" behind the computer. LOL

-Ed