Best 60mm fan to put on a stock AMD HSF

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

amplifier

Best 60mm fan to put on a stock AMD HSF

Post by amplifier » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:13 pm

I will be using a fan controller with it. I am using a stock one now, but it whines a bit when I turn the voltage down to it. Any reccomendations?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:19 pm

While you could substitute the fan on your stock cooler, we generally do not recommend this until you've already equipped yourself with a better performing cooler. We do not yet have a benchmark, or reference 60mm fan chosen, but even as such, assuming we did, you'd still have to run it quite fast to get satisfactory temperatures using the stock heatsink.

It also makes life easier on you to switch to a cooler that can accept at least an 80mm, if not 92mm or even 120mm fan of your own choice, rather than being stuck with whatever it comes with.

Take the time to peruse our CPU cooling forums; utilize the search engine, maybe inserting terms like the model of your mainboard. See what other people with your same board have tried, with what degree of success. Before we can help you, you're going to have to help yourself out.

-Ed