I am trying to get together a new system and I think I will go for the Shuttle SN41G2V2
. That was the result after quite a search and having digged through quite some reviews. This review
however made me rethink this:
The SilentX250 isn't really noisy, it just isn't silent. It is less noisy than an unmoddified 200w Shuttle/Achme PSU, but more noisy than the same 200w unit modded with an ADDA 0412MS-G70 fan.
The shuttle still seems to have a problem with the aluminium casing and there is no room to suspend the HD. Suspending the HD however is something I consider to be too much fuss. So, how quiet is "not really noisy"? I want to use the computer ON a desktop in my living room. I want to be able to watch a DVD on it without hearing it. Is the SN41G2V2 still the right choice for me? I would also like a cute, spiffy computer. I don't game that much, so I don't need to go for mega-perfomance.
If u guys still think the SN41G2V2 is an option, then here are my real questions: what HD and what DVDRW drives should I get?
- I don't want to suspend it if it were avoidable
- 250GB would be most preferable
- the SN41G2V2 has an ATA-133 interface
- I want to be able to downclock it, so that it'll read at 2x or 4x at all times so that the noise will be reduced.
- Since it is the only disc-drive in the computer it should also be silent when reading/writing regular CD's.
Some more info about the system:
- Shuttle SN41G2V2
- no additional VGA (yet)
- CPU: unkown, AMD Athlon XP (any suggestions welcome)
- memory: unkown (any suggestions welcome)
- HD: please suggest
- DVDRW: please suggest
Did I miss something? Thanks in advance!