I recently purchased a Stealth Level-4 UltraQuiet PC from ARM Systems, including Asus K8VSE Deluxe motherboard, Athlon 3200+ w/512K l2 cache, 2 sticks of 512MB 400DDR CL3 stock SDRAM, 160GB SATA/150 Samsung SpinPoint hard drive, 400W factory modified UltraQuiet PS, 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card, Creative Labs SB Audigy-2 ZS sound card, my own Lite-On 16X DVD reader, NEC ND2500A 8X DVD rewriter, Mitsumi floppy drive, generic 56K modem (back-up for my cable modem) and my own WindowsXP Pro OS. I also bought the ARM Gold 3 Year Parts/3 Year Depot Labor/1 Year Onsite Service Warranty, used once so far.
Let me say right out front it is quiet as advertised, it is fast and powerful and it is very attractive inside and out. Plus, all the folks at ARM, including owners Roy and Steve, Mark, Brian and Patrick in tech support, and Julio from the service company have all been very cooperative. That's all the good news.
Right now I'm on my second motherboard, the first one having died a quick death (only the motherboard LED and the fans running, no video, no boot) on the first day I had the system up and running with Windows XP installed. The second motherboard has already exhibited strange symptoms of freezing after the first BIOS screen with a string of garbled characters and a flashing cursor on the upper left side of the screen, 4 times on the night it was installed (not booting at all) and 1 time a day later. The system is now running fine (I hope).
I want to love this system because it has everything I was looking for but I am worried as to its long-term stability and life. Roy already offered me a refund and Steve even offered to allow me to leave my Windows installation and hardware in the computer while they check it out at ARM to make sure it's OK. In addition, Roy extended the return period without restocking fee for a couple of weeks because of the problems.
Unfortunately, I must leave the country for a few weeks starting Sept. 5 so I have to decide whether to return to ARM for refund or service sometime next week before I go. What should I do? Hang in there and hope my problems are over or return the PC? What would you do? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by dac10012 on Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.